Rear suspension lifts - discuss......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaky cakes
    I fitted 20% stronger springs and 2" spacers from 4crawler USA, then wound up the front 1.5". kept standard shocks although rear seem to run out of extend travel on speed humps.

Probably going for a mild 2'' lift as Jaky has done, but with extended shocks as well

This thread http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5756 has been very useful.

I asked the question coz there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

im having the vince lift, es9000's extended, raising the front by an inch and a half, and the sway bar is going in the bin. then a 2 inch body lift < made the blocks yesterday >
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        It's the Roughtrax ones that do that. The Milners 20% springs are far more capable
        under load.

With regards to the springs, Milners Surf or LC 20% springs with/without spacers.
        Depends upon how much lift you require.

Panhard rod. Drop bracket, (like the one Vince makes), are the easiest and most
        straightforward. If you're wanting utmost adjustability, however, then adjustable
        is obviously the way to go. You can tweek it to your hearts content.

Sway bar. Tough one. If you're just going for a couple of inch, I'd probably say
        just remove them. If you're going above that, I'd personally go for long
        disconnects. The amount that you'll be altering the basic centre of gravity above
        2" might make the handling a bit shirty without them.

With regards to shocks, if you're going above 2" on suspension alone, don't
        forget you may(?) have problems with them binding on something due to the
        amount by which the chassis/axle have been displaced. It may require other
        alterations. Someone who's done a big suspension lift should be able to say for
        definite in that regard.

I thought it was the Milners springs that don't last?????????

With the drop bracket, it enables the maximum amount of lift/axle alignment before you start major chassis work involving control arm and fuel tank relocation!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          I thought it was the Milners springs that don't last?????????
          As far as I know, Milners don't do a +2" spring. It's the Roughtrax +2" ones that
          give just over an inch lift, but that disappears as soon as there is any weight in
          the back. Apparently, they do tend to compress after a while as well.

Comment

Landcruiser springs are the way to go then, the rear end wants to stay up with those fitted, no matter what weight is in the back!

Comment

Landcruiser springs are the way to go then, the rear
              end wants to stay up with those fitted, no matter what weight is in the back!
              Definitely the best option for suspension lifts. They have the size and are also
              meaty enough to cope. Plus point is they do also give you more lift.

Comment

if you are lifting the rear,you may want to consider lifting the brake line t piece, the brake load sensor valve (back/front proportion valve) and extending your panard rod to get the car body central over axle. all easily done. see picture
                the panard rod is hollow and ready to take 24mm tap. I tapped mine a good 8" deep each end, and inserted about 7" of stud into each.
                I cut my panard rod about 10" in from drivers side end so adjuster didn't foul diff casing, and also cut out and discarded about 2" of the rod to make space for two M24 nuts.
                in the picture the left lock nut has been welded to the original rod and then the stud welded to the nut. this makes one end solid. to adjust length I slacken right hand side lock nut, unscrew end of rod to achieve desired length then tighten lock nut in place.
                Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Landcruiser springs are the way to go then, the rear end wants to stay up with those fitted, no matter what weight is in the back!
                  This is the route I'm taking:

Landcruiser Coils
                  ProComp shocks
                  Vince's Panhard Bracket set

The only question I have is should I get extended front shocks if I am only going to crank the torsion bars by about 1" or should I get standard length?
                  Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
                    to adjust length I slacken right hand side lock nut, unscrew end of rod to achieve desired length then tighten lock nut in place.
                    Hello,

Neat mod - thanks for the sizes. I was looking at the adjusters for the tracking on the front and thinking how I could use the same type of build.

The only question I have is should I get extended front shocks if I am only going to crank the torsion bars by about 1" or should I get standard length?

Look on http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/ they do plus 1'' if you want them
                    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

i've now read so much on lifting my rear i've finally made my mind up - fu*k it, i'm gonna lower it!, i pressume i just need to .............cut the springs in half !
                      Bunkle
                      Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
                        i've now read so much on lifting my rear i've finally made my mind up - fu*k it, i'm gonna lower it!, i pressume i just need to .............cut the springs in half !

oh my god... why????
                        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

only joking - got your attention though, i've gone for the 20% milners and the spacers are on the way
                          Bunkle
                          Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

and a new transfer box?

hehehe!!

Comment

now that part isn't a joke ! - i need some reassurance
                              Bunkle
                              Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
                                only joking - got your attention though, i've gone for the 20% milners and the spacers are on the way
                                Exactly what I done, you wont be disapointed
                                If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Working...
                                X