Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More starter motor woes....

Hello,

OK - so it's been giving me warnings for weeks (click, click start) and this morning it was curtains. So it's off with the starter motor!

Disconnect batteries; safely jack up near side; take off wheel & position wheel as a seat; pull off flappy rubber skirt in arch; pull off half the ATF dipstick tube;

Take off the lower support bracket that holds the back of the starter up.
    Sitting on the wheel, with your head in the arch, take out the lower motor nut and bolt - easy to get to.
    Making a copy of the spanner the aussie site suggests, take out the top motor bolt. Stay sitting on the wheel, thread the spanner between the body and gearbox - fairly easy to get out. This was made a lot easier because I have 1 1/2'' body lift. Ahhh, the difference an inch and a half makes (eh, girls).

Turn / lower the motor in the arch and disconnect the wires. Get under the car and wiggle the motor out the bottom - be careful coz its heavy - but it will come out.

Dismantle motor contacts.

Then find out Toyota can't get spares till Friday - OMG.

Solution - do the TonyN get you home fix (otherwise known as a lash up). File the good contact down to be a similar size to the shyte one now in your hand and reassemble the motor.

Put it all back together. Et, voila, started first time. I swear I will take it all apart on the weekend to fit the new contacts. Honest.
    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 20 September 2006, 14:33.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Andrew,

Can you describe this special starter top bolt spanner or supply a link to the Aussie site that mentions it?

Edit:

Just seen your edited version with photo of socket set pieces - is that the special spanner?
    Last edited by Panrixx; 20 September 2006, 14:39.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
      supply a link to the Aussie site that mentions it?
      This will give you lots of info http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/24table.htm

This is the actual link http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/starter.htm

And yes, that's the spanner - 17mm socket on the end.

Comment

UPDATE

The lash up don't work too good.

Looks like I've really have got to strip it on the weekend.

Oh, well. Keeps me off the streets I suppose.

Comment

Working...
        X