Steering Play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Play?

Can anyone tell me what is the 'average' amount of play on the steering of a 2nd Gen Surf?

I was bombing down the motorway yesterday, and noticed that the steering wheel will happily move 1" - 1 1/2" before there is any response from the wheels.

Is this normal or should I be dusting off my wallet ready for some serious spending?

Thanks
    Just Vegging Out

mine is the same, i dont think its right. i have changed the bushes in the steering idler but i suppose the idler it self could be goosed, failing that its the pitman arm!!
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by Bludger
      Can anyone tell me what is the 'average' amount of play on the steering of a 2nd Gen Surf?

I was bombing down the motorway yesterday, and noticed that the steering wheel will happily move 1" - 1 1/2" before there is any response from the wheels.

Is this normal or should I be dusting off my wallet ready for some serious spending?

Thanks

Were you in the slow lane grooves?

Comment

Steering play..

If you look in the engine bay on the drivers side you will see the steering column/shaft running from the rear bulkhead to the steering box. Approximately half way along this shaft you will find a flexible coupling. This device is there to prevent the sudden impact or ruts pushing the steered wheels in a different direction to the one you are steering and consequently pulling the steering wheel through your hands or breaking your thumbs if holding the wheel in the usual car drivers way. Because this acts as a cushioning/ shock absorbtion relay there will be some play, at least it feels like play but in actual fact with the vehicles front wheels raised off the ground there is steering movement in what you think is free play. The steering box is lazy too and this just increases the sense of something worn. generally all surfs are like this and it is 'normal'.

Comment

Pitman arm

Originally posted by slim
          mine is the same, i dont think its right. i have changed the bushes in the steering idler but i suppose the idler it self could be goosed, failing that its the pitman arm!!
          There is no play in a Pitman arm it is a solid metal lump that connects the steering shaft from the steering box to the drag link ball joint. The pitman arm could be loose but unlikely.. a good thorough chaeck will confirm this.

Comment

Might help

I had the same issue with a 2nd egn 3.0 L. I guess its all the same.

I changed loads of ball joints and the idler. Still all loose.

It seems now that I have solved the problem but not sure on how it holds in regards to being safe or not, so this is your choice.

On the drivers side main steering box there is a Bolt on top, that has a screw in the middle. I had to take the battery out to make it east to get to.

Slacken the bolt, turned the screw in a turn or so then re tighten the bolt. I did it bit by bit and watched the outcome. This seems to take some slack, somehow, out of the main steering box. I found the slack by asking the better half to sit in the truck, engine off, and turn the steering from left to right, slowly. I could see the steering shaft turning a small amount with no movement at all from the steering arm. Once this screw bolt assembly was tightened I got the movement to be much more direct. Also change the steering fluid, I found this sharpened things up.

Just some ideas, hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mechanic
              There is no play in a Pitman arm it is a solid metal lump that connects the steering shaft from the steering box to the drag link ball joint. The pitman arm could be loose but unlikely.. a good thorough chaeck will confirm this.
              He means the ball joint on the pitman arm, its not replacable so you have to replace the whole thing.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Not too sure

Hello,
                I thought the bolt with screw was on top off the steering box. Would that be a good description? Not sure?

Steering shaft from steering wheel rins in to the box at the front of the car, front off side. Lots of power steering pipes lead in to the same g/box. The steering arm drives on spindle from the bottom for the box. The bolt with a screw in was on the top of that. I thought it might toghten a bevel gear assemble? Maybe wrong and not wishing to teach any egg sucking here.

I hope I was of some help anyway.

Cheers R

Comment

Robin, I believe TonyN was merely adding extra info regarding the other
                  Tony's post, not correcting yours.

Comment

Homer Simpson moment from me then,

Sorry for my Doh! moment

Cheers R

Comment

Working...
                    X