Nice Sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Sight

Just driving home passing the airfield at Biggin Hill, lots of people in their best togs, RAF officers in mess dress etc, just occured to me its Battle of Britain Day today. As I passed the end of the runway was treated to a lovely very low flypast by Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster. Nice run and break by the the SPit and huricane, then two lovely landings, huricane first then the Lanc, which almost took the tops off of the lamposts. I was wondering where the Spit went and just now, abiut 40 minutes later it has just flown a lovely display, including a very low pass down my street.

Sometimes days just get brightened up don't they, the sound of 6 Merlins has that effect on me! I has reminded my of one of the reasons I live here.
    Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Its nice to know that people still appreciate these great planes & keep them AIRBORNE
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Spent an hour in the AAC museum at Middle Wallop yesterday whilst waiting for our Apache to get back from a test. They've got some great stuff in there. Worth a look if you're in the Plain area.

They've got most of a Horsa Glider in there (and a decent selection of old Helos). First one I've ever seen in captivity. Those guys had nuts of steel. Dropped off over Germany with no engine, so one chance at landing in an unknown place, and no easy way out! Much respect due.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I hope the Vulcan Surport group get that back in the air ...It is the most aweson sight that i have ever seen
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Dead right. I remember them from being on holiday in North West Wales, probably about 30 years ago when they used to diversions to Valley and Llandedr. I was sat in my canoe in the shallows when an enrmous great shadow passed over me with the accompanying roar of four avons running at full chat while he climbed out. Still gives me goosebumps!

Comment

In that case join up http://www.vulcantotheskyclub.com/ I'm a member and can't wait for next year when it flies again.

By the way, the display carried on untill dark with a big radial engined thing that I didn't recognise and finally Will Curtis in his modified Sukoui 26 http://www.hondadreamteam.com/team_sukhoi.htm who gives THE most stunning display of, I won't call it flying 'cos most of the time it isn't flying it is the huge mill holding the 'plane in the air, aerobatics you will ever see.

Comment

I used to see the VULCAN on patrol when i was in Margate. 1978 ish.
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

Thw vulcan is an awesome aircraft, I would love to see one flying again!

Could out turn virtually all of the contemporary fighters of it's day at altitude even my favourite the Lightning!

We had a lanc of the memorial flight come low over Brize Norton last year during a the Party in the park on camp! Stunning!

Cheers

Neil
                www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Someone bought a VULCAN about 10 years ago & kept it at Blackpool airport but it never flew i think they sc rapped it in the end.
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Hows this ?

You can thank Dawn and Dewayne for this

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                      Someone bought a VULCAN about 10 years ago & kept it at Blackpool airport but it never flew i think they sc rapped it in the end.
                      If it was in white 'nuclear bomber' paint, it's parked out back of the canteen at BAES Warton. Looking a bit sorry for itself though.

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                        It was a disgrace, if anyone saw that heap of junk and thought that was what aircraft preservation about they would never have supported efforts to a get a genuine flying possibility in the air. It sold on fleabay believe it or not but the buyer pulled out when he realised the aircraft was in such a state that it could not be transported. In addition there was a huge cleanup bill for the polution that had dripped out of it. There was a brief flurry of court activity. The owner then tried to sell the engines but was too greedy, in the end it was munched into s$$$$. There is a rumour that the cockpit survived however they managed to drop it and crack the observation dome at the bottom.

There is another Vulcan XL426 in fast taxi condition at Southend.

Comment

There is a nose/cockpit section of a Vulcan at Bournemouth international ...I sat in it about a month ago, fair climb up to the cockpit!!

higher than me surf!!!
                          www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Working...
                          X