starting problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting problem...

Hi guys, please can i consult your collective knowledge!

Sometimes, especailly if its cold & wet, when i try to start my surf it wont turn over. I wait for the coil light to go & turn the key but it just clicks, if i sort of pump the key it seems to gain motivation and always fires into life after a few gos, good ol gal!

I was just wandering if anyone knows if this is something that i should worry about and get sorted?

Also while i'm here, i'm missing a rear windscreen arm, does anyone know a good place to order one from?

oh, and, i hit a muntjack deer the other day, oops! it damaged the fibreglass(?) protective thingy on the front underside of my surf, does anyone know the name for it so i can get another one!

Thanks alot for your help!

Claire

Mine did this until I had the batteries changed for some top spec bosch ones, it now wirrs over like a kenwood chef. I would get them checked if I were you and then start looking at the starter solenoid and starter motor. The surf needs a lot of amps for the original cranking from standstill.

Andy

Comment

Hello Mrs Spratt.

Hit a dear ? mmm, bit naughty, was it alright ? did you eat it ? or at least put the skin to good use ?

The bash plate on the underside is really strong steel normally, are you sure its fiber glass ? I'm faily sire someone will shout if they have one but it might be prudent to advertise in the parts wanted section.

Dreads eh ? Levellers too ?

Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
        Hello Mrs Spratt.

Hit a dear ? mmm, bit naughty, was it alright ? did you eat it ? or at least put the skin to good use ?

The bash plate on the underside is really strong steel normally, are you sure its fiber glass ? I'm faily sire someone will shout if they have one but it might be prudent to advertise in the parts wanted section.

Dreads eh ? Levellers too ?

Think the part you are talking about is the front valance - think you will need to go to Toyota for it. Milners stock one but it's for the pre facelift 2nd gens (up to 1991 I think) and is made of metal. Not sure that this will fit as the bumper on these ones is in 3 pieces wheras the facelift 2nd gen has a 1 piece front bumper.

Also it sounds like your Starter solenoid is on the way out and needs some new contacts. The damp weather probably makes it worse than normal. New Batteries sometimes mask the problem as the additional current allows the contacts to work by jumping any dirt on them or any gap.

Not sure where you can get one from but probably from Milners or Roughtrax.

Cheers

Comment

I dont think it was ok, i was doing 60mph at the time...!
          and yes I did get in trouble for not going back to collect it for dinner!!

No levellers here mate!

The bash plate is not metal, my mate offered to try a repair on it with resin, perhaps that would be for the best..

Thanks for the advice, I'll check the battery & solenoids..

Claire

Comment

Good Luck Claire,

I can also help with fiberglass advice if you need some.

Sorry bout the levellers quip !

Jahhh !

R.
            Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Hello Claire!

I had the same starting problem... spent ages messing around with the glow plugs and relays.. in the end it was the Batteries. Changed them (£44 each... result) and now I have no problems however cold it is...

Also - bash plates... send a PM to Rusty... he's made some really tough metal bash plates... not sure what they cost but would be better that fibreglass/plastic I guess?
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                Hello Claire!

I had the same starting problem... spent ages messing around with the glow plugs and relays.. in the end it was the Batteries. Changed them (£44 each... result) and now I have no problems however cold it is...

Also - bash plates... send a PM to Rusty... he's made some really tough metal bash plates... not sure what they cost but would be better that fibreglass/plastic I guess?
                Hi

Where did you manage to get a battery for £44?

Paul
                [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Comment

get a matal plate!
                  i've run over a few deers, the small ones just go uynderneath, but the big ones get completlely obliterated! (and take a bit of cleaning off!)

but hey, i live in a rural area and that's what country folk do!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by The Griff
                    Hi

Where did you manage to get a battery for £44?

Paul
                    Lindas special negotiating powers, they shouldda been 57+vat, but she turned on the charm and the parts guy folded like a house of cards in a gale.

Its either the batterys not holding a charge overnight and knackered, or the starter solonoid contacts neede replacing. get the batts checked out first, along with if its charging OK, then go for the starter contacts, cheap to fix, but the started needs to come out. (easy on a V6 or 3.0TD, noy done a 2.4 though.)

Metal or plastic bash plate are fitted to trucks, if you have the underslung aircon rads, it'll be a metal plate, others have whatever Mr Toyota had closest to hand when building the truck!

***Edited, just found the recipt, shoudda been £69.90+vat but we got then for £40!!!!!!!!!!!! GO LINDA!!!!! ***
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                    X