yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best 3rd party Surf Check - RAC or others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bogus
    I think youre being way too over cautious, youre getting too tied up in the desire to have all the t,s crossed and the i,s dotted. legal protection, RAC Inspections,. Listen to what everyone is saying, take a knowledgeable friend, you,ll probably know anyway if somethings a shed or not anyway, and dont close youre mind to ones that have been in country a while, dont get too wrapped up in colour, underslung/rear mounted spares etc etc. Just find one that youre happy with, that you feel is good, that your knowledgable friend thinks is OK and you,ll be fine. Ive had a lot of second hand cars, purchased privately in all kinds of price ranges going back more than 30 yrs. ( yes Im old)and NEVER been disappointed yet.
    You might even find yourself buying a blue one ( god forbid), but thats another matter

Let Go, Live a little, take a chance.

Bogus
    Hey Bogus,

I like the blue ones - especially the light metalic blue. Put a body kit and A Frame on them and they look mint.

Comment

kenny, thats a good reason. good luck chap.
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_Notts
        Hey Bogus,

I like the blue ones - especially the light metalic blue. Put a body kit and A Frame on them and they look mint.

Chuck a blanket over them you mean.

sorry, light blue Surf owners.

Comment

Simple answer to that one then, Kenny. Ask the dealer if they will take a card
          if you pay the charges. However, if they don't normally take cards, they probably
          won't be equipped to do so. Caveat emptor.

Also, that is why it has been suggested you take someone local with you. They are
          neutral, have nothing to gain, and in all honesty, are putting aside their time to help
          you out. Caution is fine, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Also, if you have
          had your own business in the past, you will be well aware of what can happen if
          you never take any risks.

Comment

Kenny, sorry about all the grief you have sufferred in the past. You story illustrates why a private buy may be better. You have shown that there are no quarantees when buying from a dealer and you pay a higher price.

Providing someone can give the Surf a good preliminary check for the obvious problems, like pulling to one side, then you can use the saved money to get any minor work (tyres, service, cam belt, etc) done. That way you have a better motor for the same price and you know what work has been done to it, rather than take a dealer's word for what service work, etc has been done.

There are no quarantees in life and many people have grief with dealer's when thy but NEW motors.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
              That way you have a better motor for the same price and you know what work has been done to it, rather than take a dealer's word for what service work, etc has been done.
              That's why I always suggest making sure it's mechanically and structurally sound,
              then doing the service work by oneself afterwards. Regardless of whether there
              are servicable faults on it when you inspect it, a dealer or private seller will try to
              repair it mostly for the cheapest level possible. At the end of the day, they want
              to make some profit. Only by arranging service and repairs yourself will one truly
              know they have been done correctly. Kenny, if you don't lower the bar a gnat's,
              you will most probably never get your 4x4. Three things to aim for when you
              buy.

1) A clean and structurally sound chassis.
              2) A mechanically sound engine, transmission and drive train.
              3) Bodywork in the best condition expectable within reason.

If you can get the three above, repairing and servicing anything else is a piece
              of pi$s. Over caution really is as bad as recklessness.

Comment

Kenny,

I sympathise with your position. My best suggestion is still that the best thing you can do is check the car out properly when you buy it. Take your time and if they won't let you spend at least an hour looking it over, walk away. If there is something about it that you don't like, don't buy it. There area lot of surfs around and, god knows, you've had enough trouble with being fobbed off before.

In your position, I would personally buy something that meets the three criteria that Matt has set out (If you're not confident doing that on your own, one of us will come with you. If you really want a thorough check, I would have thought that TonyN can be coaxed out of Basingstoke to do a full inspection at a fraction of the price of the RAC or whoever else, but you would have to ask him about it) but I would also buy something about 2 grand below my budget so ANYTHING niggly that went wrong with it could be sorted.

If you own a sound vehicle in the first place, and keep it serviced, that's your best guarantee of not getting any stress in future.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Comment

Thanks Guys

Hi Guys,

I think you are right in your advice, if I am going to to keep mithering I will end up nowhere.

So If anyone fancys a trip out to look at a couple of Surfs local to me then I'd be very grateful. I'd pay for your travel costs, time and even a pub lunch if ya feeling peckish.

Any way, never done this before so dont know how its done. If anyone feels like helping ether leave a message in this thread or e-mail me direct at kjaymes@masterjam.demon.co.uk

Cheers

Kenny_Notts

Comment

Hi Guys,

I think you are right in your advice, if I am going to to keep mithering I will end up nowhere.

Kenny_Notts
                    Nice one. Glad to see you've finally decided to go ahead and get one. Shouldn't
                    be long before one of the mechanical wizards offers their help. You'll ne'er find
                    a more helpful bunch than on here. All the best in your search.

Comment

Good luck Kenny

Hi Guys,

So If anyone fancys a trip out to look at a couple of Surfs local to me then I'd be very grateful. I'd pay for your travel costs, time and even a pub lunch if ya feeling peckish.

Any way, never done this before so dont know how its done. If anyone feels like helping ether leave a message in this thread or e-mail me direct at kjaymes@masterjam.demon.co.uk

Cheers

Kenny_Notts
                      Good luck in your search mate you will never regred becoming a surfer . I bought my 2.4 very cheaply £1700 and have invested £3000 in a stevo recon engine and having the auto box fully overhauled . Its going into Dr anglegrinder in 3 weeks for a full service . Do I regret buying it NO do i regret spending the money NO you will have the biggest grin imaginable when you have your own surf . Good luck in your search M8 and welcome to the madhouse

Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                        You might even find yourself buying a blue one ( god forbid), but thats another matter

Bogus
                        Oi!!!! ......Behave
                        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                          Oi!!!! ......Behave

Oh God NO, last thing I intended was to upset anyone, silly silly me
                          Сви можемо

Comment

Here's a question to throw in the melting pot.

Is there a company like the RAC who is surf friendly and who you can pay to go out and check your potential purchase over. The RAC dont, as far as I know (and I may be wrong) dont actually check any of the mechanics, they just do a visual check?

Ideas and suggestions would be great?

Kenny_Notts
                            TRY tonyn he the surf mister
                            or you can pay me loads
                            Enjoying Life after Cancer
                            Pops

Comment

Good luck with whatever you choose, have you thought about importing one yourself, or going through a 3rd party? I got mine through Algy's Autos. I was scared $$$$less parting with money before I'd seen the car (I just had photo's) , but he basically adds a grand ish to the auction price. You choose from a selection that's coming up and his bloke bids to your max. My 3rd Gen came over with 40,000 (miles) on the clock.Timing belt and fluid change, fog light and clock conversion were all part of the deal. I've now done 123,000 and the worst that happened was a blown cylinder head . I thrash the arse off it all over the country and it serves me well. I'd always recommend a 3.0ltr intercooled 3rd gen as it will speed when you need and tow a house too! I would add that you do need to find a good service place. Toyota wil do it ut are sooooo expensive. My local garage did f*&k up my brakes . I now go to TonyN, even though he's miles away it's worth it......what he don't know about surf's!
                              Anyway, good luck and welcome!
                              Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
                                I got mine through Algy's Autos.
                                Hi Ya Ace and thanks for the advice - mucho appreciated.

I looked into Algy's and while there prices arnt too bad, they said it will take 8 weeks from me placing the order to actually getting the truck. I cant wait that long as I dont have a car at the moment.

Also, I cant get my head around stumping up all that cash without at least hearing the engine running on a car first. I cant afford to buy the wrong Surf - Its gotta work and work well from day one, otherwise I am up the creek.

Its not easy this "getting a 2nd hand car" malarky is it

Comment

Working...
                                X