Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt change

Hello,

So I've read all the appropriate threads, and given that I'm vaguely mechanically minded, I'm thinking of changing the timing belt myself.

Who's already changed theirs, and how was it for you!

On a scale of 1 - 10 where was it?

Downside is getting the timing out and causing mayhem

And then wishing I'd taken it to the garage in the first place.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Never done it, but heard it's a sh&te. Don't forget to replace the tensioner, BTW.
    No use having to get in there twice.

Comment

Probably a 6. The main thing is to check and double check that the belt is installed correctly. You do this by putting a socket on one of the pulleys and turning the engine over 4 turns of the bottom pulley and checking that the marks line up properly when you've done. Other than that not a bad job - check out this http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/timingbelt.htm
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

on the boring scale it an 8
        on the scary scale, its a 9
        on a difficult scale its a 5 once you have got the pulleys off...
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
          Hello,

Thanks - I've read that one and got it saved on my laptop.

Anyone know of any others?

I'm removing anything to do with my aircon this weekend - it needs the expensive refill jobby and I never use it - so the timing job should be that bit easier.

Comment

If you feel like treating it to a coolant change as well the job's a lot easier with the rad out - as if you hadn't got enough to do
            Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

If you feel like treating it to a coolant change as well the job's a lot easier with the rad out - as if you hadn't got enough to do
              I'ld have to agree its a lot easier with the rad out and you're less likely to damage it.
              also undoing the bottom pully bolt is hard as it is very tight, but by putting a socket and bar on it ,jam the bar against the chassis then flick the ign key to turn the engine over slightly will release the bolt.
              Make sure you check then double check the timing alignment, turn the engine over with a spanner on one of the pulleys a few times then recheck the alighnment.
              If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

i found the drive belt tensioner was a right pig to get at.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
                  I'ld have to agree its a lot easier with the rad out and you're less likely to damage it.
                  also undoing the bottom pully bolt is hard as it is very tight, but by putting a socket and bar on it ,jam the bar against the chassis then flick the ign key to turn the engine over slightly will release the bolt.
                  Make sure you check then double check the timing alignment, turn the engine over with a spanner on one of the pulleys a few times then recheck the alighnment.

Excuse my ignorance but why would you undo the bottom pulley bolt to change the timing belt?
                  Trust your Hound.

Comment

Different set-up on the 2.4 engine.

Comment

Hello,

I removed anything to do with the air con yesterday - the amount of space to get at the underside of the engine is unbelievable. 4 bolts to take the bash plate off and its all accessible, including the bottom hoses.

There's a couple of pipes to remove then I'll post pics of the pile stuff that came off.

I had to take the little overflow bottle off and it had about 1'' of rusty sludge in the bottom.

So the rad will deffo be coming off - the whole system is going to have the automotive equivalent of an ENEMA/COLONIC IRRIGATION

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                        Hello,

I removed anything to do with the air con yesterday - the amount of space to get at the underside of the engine is unbelievable. 4 bolts to take the bash plate off and its all accessible, including the bottom hoses.

There's a couple of pipes to remove then I'll post pics of the pile stuff that came off.

I had to take the little overflow bottle off and it had about 1'' of rusty sludge in the bottom.

So the rad will deffo be coming off - the whole system is going to have the automotive equivalent of an ENEMA/COLONIC IRRIGATION
                        HeHe that'll make it's eye's water, no matter how much it screams you make it have it,
                        I'm following this thread with intrest as this is summat i need to do, i might learn by your mistakes Ian
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          Different set-up on the 2.4 engine.
                          Ah right i see
                          Trust your Hound.

Comment

How did you get on with this, Andrew?

What difficulty scale would you say? How long did it take you?
                            It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                              How did you get on with this, Andrew?

What difficulty scale would you say? How long did it take you?
                              Difficulty scale = 5 ish

Cr4p yourself starting it back up scale = 9 ish haha

Took about 4 hours(i think) made a lot easier by not having any aircon in the way. The bottom pulley tapped off real easy - I think because the timing belt was changed about 3 years ago.

Followed all the tips posted and when reassembled turned it by hand about 5 times just to make sure. Lined everything up as I took it off and then just put it all back on!

Comment

Working...
                              X