Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie advice on Surf Jap Documents?

Hello

There is a rather nice Surf I have my eye on (would be my first) and I have taken it out on a test drive - all seems fine to me.

The prob is the dealer claims to have taken the surf in as part exchange against another car and says it was imported by the previous owner from Japan WITHOUT any service documents.

The dealer says this is quite normal for Jap Surfs but is it guys, can you advise please ?

I know there are various checks you can have done to a imported car such as milage check and so on but is there any way to check out its service history?

I have been biten before by 2nd hand car dealers so am very very cautious and in need of some knowing advice.

Roger_H

Personally, I've never given a toss about service history on any vehicle I've had.
    Half the time, they ain't worth a jot. If it passes all the common mech checks when
    you look it over and test drive it, provided you look after it correctly, you should be
    fine.

Welcome, BTW.

Comment

As Matt says, any service history would be in Japan if it had one, and rarely comes over with the vehicle.
      If it was owned by someone in this country before, then it should have a log book. Ask the dealer what kind of warranty he will give you anyway. Most are obliged to give at least three months.
      If it's a 2.4, get proof that the head has been changed, or if the dealer's warranty will cover a replacement head.

Oh, and don't 'fall in love' with the first one you see/test, as there are loads out there including for sale on here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Oh, and don't 'fall in love' with the first one you see/test, as there are loads out there including for sale on here.

I did but i was lucky!!

hehhehe very green it is........

Stu
        http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
          I did but i was lucky!!
          Same here.

Comment

Service History over here is usually just to prove that the car was looked after properly and to verify the mileage.

Restrictions and regulations on cars and their owners in Japan mean that it is very unlikely that any corners were cut on the Surf. Their MOT equivalent and emissions laws are very much tighter than the UK, to the extent that missing services can turn out to be very very expensive.

As for the mileage, the condition of the controls should be a reasonable indication.

Comment

Working...
            X