yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh S#*t ! I'm sure it's not supposed to do that!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh S#*t ! I'm sure it's not supposed to do that!

Ok, I'm in the Surf cruising at a comfortable 30mph and then decided to put my foot to the floor to give it a bit of a blast.

Everything was going fine until it changed into high gear. As the gear changed, there was a loud 'clunk' and a big puff of smoke out of the exhaust.

Now I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't happen.

I can recall it happening on 2 other occasions - both times I put it down to the tyres throwing a stone into the muddy, crusty wheel arch.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? I'm getting a service done in a few weeks time, so would like to be able to tell the guy to fix this problem as well.

By the way, it's a 1993 3.0 TD 2nd Gen and I run it on SVO/Dino mix.

Thanks
    Dave
    Just Vegging Out

Hi think back is it only doing it since you have been using the "MIX" if so try a couple of full tanks of ordinary diesel see if still does it then.
    Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
      Hi think back is it only doing it since you have been using the "MIX" if so try a couple of full tanks of ordinary diesel see if still does it then.
      I've been using Vege for about 12mths now, and this problem has happened only while using vege.

I was thinking it must be something to do with Gearing because it was as the transmission changed into high gear that the 'Clunk' happened. Almost as if the cogs were struggling to engage.

But like I said, I'm no mechanic.
      Just Vegging Out

Comment

I'm probably even less of a mechanic, but a puff of smoke would imply it's something to do with combustion rather than gears. Possibly something to do with the extra bit of effort needed as it changes up.

Like Bob says, try it with a tank of diesel and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, it's from using veg.

Comment

Don't worry

Wouldn't worry too much - a puff of black smoke (unburnt fuel) is very normal in a surf, especially if there was a slight dfelay changing gear.

Probably worth just checking ATF fluid. Should be a nice red colour, not brown or black as many are when imported...
          I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Working...
          X