K&Ns and 3rd gens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&Ns and 3rd gens

I'm a simple soul and every time I read something positive about using K&Ns I straightaway read something negative !

Is there anybody who can give the full SP with evidence rather than apocryphal tales ?

What I'm particularly interested in is:

What sort of performance increase can I expect ? (I'm not after a racing car just a bit more torque/acceleration for towing)

What effect will it have on mpg assuming that I don't drive it like a chav ?

How much more noise will it make ? (I'm thinking of a direct replacement filter rather than an induction kit)

What's the K&N part number for the 3rd gen ? (The search threw up the E2487 but I think that's for an earlier model)

Whoops - nearly forgot ..... What's the cost likely to be ?

Cheers guys

Last edited by Predictable Bob; 9 September 2006, 20:03.
    Life is too important to take seriously !

i cant comment on the k&n but i use the max power universal air filter on mine.i have removed the toyota air filter box and have the new filter fitted to the platic tube that runs across the top of the engine and then a metal pipe to feed it fresh air(hope this makes sense) i do get better mpg but as for performance not a great deal of improvement but you do get a nice induction noise when you floor the throttle will post piccys if you wanted to see it will take some on monday
    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Vehicle: Champagne Silver 96 SSR 3.0 TD intercooler with all the goodies
      Why would you need more power for towing. Try towing with a 2.4 1st there is a huge difference. If you want a K&N buy a SAXO or something
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

My new 3rd gen already had K&N replacement filter on it. Don't think it has added to exhaust noise, but it also has 4ins exhaust and sound great. Definate improvement on 2nd gen,but it came chipped as well.
        Will look and see if has number on filter tomorrow.
        Philip
        Still Searching,
        Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Vehicle: Champagne Silver 96 SSR 3.0 TD intercooler with all the goodies
          Why would you need more power for towing. Try towing with a 2.4 1st there is a huge difference. If you want a K&N buy a SAXO or something

Cos I don't like people getting away from me at the lights when I'm towing ?

Comment

They improve airflow and give better throttle response. More/faster airflow you force into the engine, the sensors will send a signal to the ECU and chuck more fuel as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              They improve airflow and give better throttle response. More/faster airflow you force into the engine, the sensors will send a signal to the ECU and chuck more fuel as well.
              I reckon (and this is only my opinion though long considered) that because you have a big compressor sitting on the end of your inlet pipes, that changing the filter will make negligible difference unless the standard one is extremely restrictive, and I dont think it is.

What you *might* gain from fitting a cone filter (as opposed to a K&N in the original box) is likely to be outweighed by the fact your drawing hot air from the engine bay rather than the cold air from behing the headlamp as per the original fit.

If you have an intercooler fitted, you may benefit from a cone filter as you will cool that engine bay air down anyway (particularly if you have a water mist system fitted too), but without all the extra gubbins, I'd guess that a fancy filter will make no difference at all, and may in fact decrease your mpg for the reasons bushwhacker states. More air = more fuel / hotter air = less air = less power. Neither option sounds good to me.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Dunno what diffo iin a Surf BUT most motorcycles dont like any after market air filters and power falls away BIG time!

Try ladies tights (gimp mask optional)

Comment

want more power from your turbo .fit an adjustable boost valve.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

my K&N made no difference... possibly a little less power... but it did make it NOISY!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Was that on your 3rd gen Matt ?

Comment

yeah.
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Ah well - I reckon that's saved me around £50 then !

Cheers

Comment

Ive towed my van with my intercooled beast & WOW what a difference it makes.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                            X