Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and looking to buy a surf

A few questions:

1: I am currently trying to sell my car - Mitsubishi FTO GPX (not having much luck) and will have around £3,500 once it's gone will i get a decent 3.0l ssr-x or sr-g for this price

2: I have tried many online quotes and so far Elephant is the only one to list the 3.0l ssr-x which is £324.40 does this sound about right for someone nearly 27 with 7 yrs no claims and no motoring convictions.

3: I have read about the 2.4 having problems with cracked heads, does the 3.0l have any major problems like this and what is availability of parts and prices like for them (my FTO was expensive and hard to find parts due to being an import is the surf the same).

4: I have read many things about MPG on here ranging from 11 - 30 my FTO did about 300 miles on a tank of petrol, will the surf be about the same number of miles to a tank of fuel.

Cheers for your help, Nick.

Originally posted by BigBopper
    A few questions:

1: I am currently trying to sell my car - Mitsubishi FTO GPX (not having much luck) and will have around £3,500 once it's gone will i get a decent 3.0l ssr-x or sr-g for this price

2: I have tried many online quotes and so far Elephant is the only one to list the 3.0l ssr-x which is £324.40 does this sound about right for someone nearly 27 with 7 yrs no claims and no motoring convictions.

3: I have read about the 2.4 having problems with cracked heads, does the 3.0l have any major problems like this and what is availability of parts and prices like for them (my FTO was expensive and hard to find parts due to being an import is the surf the same).

4: I have read many things about MPG on here ranging from 11 - 30 my FTO did about 300 miles on a tank of petrol, will the surf be about the same number of miles to a tank of fuel.

Cheers for your help, Nick.
    You should get a 2nd gen 3 lt for that and the insurance aint bad.
    The 2.4 lts are a lottery which i appear to be winning at the mo and you will get between 20 -26 mpg depending on how you drive it .
    Look here for mor infohttp://www.showmesome.info/hilux/
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

hi welcome to the forum. a 3.0 litre surf would be better ofcourse be careful using elephant for insurance a better choice may be lifesure which is listed on this forum. i think that amount of money should purchase you a nice surf. please due test first to make sure you feel how they drive compared to a car. parts are easy to find again using this forum i have found but just as your vehicle was an import so is this surf. i prefer a manual transmission verus auto. i think the blown head problems are sometimes caused by trying to get more power out of the engine then what is there. an automatic trans needs more power to drive the vehicle then manual. just my thoughts on this head problem. anyway good luck on your search you best move so far was joining this forum it is a veryuseful aid indeed!

Comment

Welcome and in my opinion any motor is a bit of a risk, but if you risk nothing, you gain nothing!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25833

Have a look at this one
        Nihil illigitimi carborundum

Comment

Welcome. It might be a bit quiet this weekend as a lot of folks are sat in a Cornwall field talking manifolds and sprockets and stuff.

1. Yep. 3,500 is about the going rate for a decent 3.0 2nd gen.
          2. Try Lifesure, Adrian Flux and Footman James. Also Tesco if you can get one of the more highly trained monkeys on the phone.
          3. It's only the 2.4s that are infamous for cracked heads (although they can go on 3.0s, the same as any car). Parts are cheap and easy.
          4. No idea, never measured it, but everyone else says about 25.

Comment

A.J Insurance is also another one you could try. I use them on two different
            imports from different continents.

With regards to the head, just do the usual checks for head problems, water
            in oil and the rest, when you look at it. Provided you service the cooling system
            completely when you get it, chances are highly reduced that you'll suffer any
            head problems. There are a lot of imports that still have the Jap rad cap and
            thermostat in place after having been over here for several years. People tend
            to do an engine service and ignore the cooling system. Use original Toyota
            replacements for the rad cap and thermostat.

Comment

Hippo is insured with Groupama through A-Plan.

I think you will find Linda's bullet is also insured through A-Plan.

Trev
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Groupama through A-Plan here too, theyre good people to deal with!
                Nige...............

Anything you can do.......i

Comment

Working...
                X