Road tax increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road tax increase

I read somewhere last week that the road tax on large family cars,suvs and 4x4s is set to soar to £1800 a year,can anyone verify this story and if it's true when can we expect it to happen?
    Powered by ????

I heard that too, but don't know if its just rumour

Would say its unlikely as that would put higher tax on agricultural vehicles, but who knows

I thought £175 last time was steep enough

Comment

*IF* the Liberals ever get into power, then yes, it could well rise to that sort of level. HOWEVER, the current top rate tax for high emissions vehicles only applies to 2001 cars or newer, so don't expect any similar punitive tax to apply to older cars.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

yeah it is somet that has been thrown at parliment by do-gooder mp's but as far as i know nothing is set in stone as yet!!

i suppose they have to be seen doing things to cut emissinons but the facts are they earn too much money from vehicles to push to hard that they will loose revenue..
        CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Also, don't forget the power of the motor manufacturers to lobby the government. They will loose sales revenue if such a tax was introduced, and they would not be happy. Can you imagine how quickly a government would respond if some car makers threatened to pull out of the UK market (think job losses etc).
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
            Also, don't forget the power of the motor manufacturers to lobby the government. They will loose sales revenue if such a tax was introduced, and they would not be happy. Can you imagine how quickly a government would respond if some car makers threatened to pull out of the UK market (think job losses etc).
            yeah good point. it will have a knock-on effect that is a fact!!!!
            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

And just today Nissan Im told announced 200 new jobs at Sunderland to crank up production of their latest 4x4. If it ever did happen I would think it might be a phased accelleration over a bunch of years but personally im not sure it will happen

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

Also, think how quickly that would kill the caravan market in the UK, as today's larger vans need large cars to pull them. If you price large cars off the road then you'll also kill the caravan industry with the resultant loss of thousands of jobs in manufacturing, caravan sites and the loss of millions of £s annually to the UK economy. Can't see it happening if the politicians ever want to get re-elected.
                Mike G

Comment

Not just the caravan market, but any trailer [horse, boat, caravan, transporter] to take account of the weight you need the larger vehicles to allow for good braking/towing.
                  Gaz

Comment

Working...
                  X