Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buyers guides??

afternoon all.

my misses has talked me into getting a carravan but ive managed to convince her that we need a surf to tow it

had a quick look through the site and cant seem to find a buyers guide. So im after a bit of advise from the people in the know as to whats best and what to look for. Its going to be a diesel, and probably an auto, but that are the pros and cons of both the 2.4 and 3.0?? ive heard talk about the heads going, but is this just on the 2.4 or is 3.0 prone to it too? what should i be looking for when viewing? whats the real world mpg like? whats the best bet for insurance, being an import?? and anything else im likely to need to know..

cheers all

Mark

Originally posted by MarkJ
    afternoon all.

my misses has talked me into getting a carravan but ive managed to convince her that we need a surf to tow it

had a quick look through the site and cant seem to find a buyers guide. So im after a bit of advise from the people in the know as to whats best and what to look for. Its going to be a diesel, and probably an auto, but that are the pros and cons of both the 2.4 and 3.0?? ive heard talk about the heads going, but is this just on the 2.4 or is 3.0 prone to it too? what should i be looking for when viewing? whats the real world mpg like? whats the best bet for insurance, being an import?? and anything else im likely to need to know..

cheers all

Mark
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

http://www.hiluxsurf.eu/faq_intro.htm

Welcome welcome.

If you're towing, you're probably best off with a 3.0 unless you're skint, in which case you're best off with a 2.4 with a modified head. If you have outstanding taste, you're best off with mine, which is in the for sale section. It's a 2.4 and has no tow bar, but it has soul and that's priceless.

Comment

did look at yours in the for sale section earlier, and i already had it watched on ebay. not so keen on the front lights, but seems a good price. I do want a 3litre, just not sure how much more expensive one will be to run over a 2.4?? insurance and fuel economy etc....

cheers for the tips

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJ
        did look at yours in the for sale section earlier, and i already had it watched on ebay. not so keen on the front lights, but seems a good price. I do want a 3litre, just not sure how much more expensive one will be to run over a 2.4?? insurance and fuel economy etc....

cheers for the tips
        $HIT. Those lights will be the death of me.

I believe the fuel economy for the 2.4 and 3.0 is about the same, you kind of have to keep your foot nailed to the floor in a 2.4 if you want perceptible movement and I guess it gets through the old diesel a bit faster because of that. Insurance will probably be about the same.

The cheapest to insure is actually (from what I can see) a UK 4runner as they don't get a stupid premium stuck on top for being an import. Fuel economy (especially around town) ain't so hot though.

However, petrol 4runners are for real men and V6 surfs are reserved for the most virile examples, so they are worth having if you're tough enough.

Comment

Hi,

I have a 3.0 Litre deisel, and she does around 25mpg insurance was under £300 for me fully comp (aged 47)

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
            Hi,

I have a 3.0 Litre deisel, and she does around 25mpg insurance was under £300 for me fully comp (aged 47)

Trev
            cheers Trev, thats pretty good mpg. deffo want the 3litre, insurance will be abit more for me though, only 29

Comment

Mark,

Nuffin wrong with caravans - as long as your towcar can accelerate under load ......

We've got a 3.0 intercooled 3rd gen and it tows a treat, accelerates up hills with no bother - that's fully laden (2 adults & three 13 year olds, full boot with 1300kg of loaded van on the back).

Fuel consumption - solo it hits 30mpg on a run (considerably less round town of course), towing in France last year I got about 21mpg but I don't hang about (accidentally hit 85mph at one point !)

And now a blatant plug - probably the best caravanning website around .....

http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/

not only good info but you can have a laugh too !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
              X