kicked in the sphericals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kicked in the sphericals

After 11 years service with the same haulage company mainly for convenience the firm i work for is moving 30 miles north, not a lot i here you say but this lot being Scottish ( and the rumours are true with this lot) they have turned round to us all that is left after they scaled the staffing levals down. This is the biscuit hey are not making people redundant but on top of that they seem to expect every body to travel to the new site without any form of assitence. It dont sound a lot but where we are now we are on top of the main trunk routes to get to deliveries but the new site is going to add 2 hours onto everybodys day as the traffic to get to main places of our work is into and around London...Somebody up in head office needs to spend some time down here i think to understand the traffic situation down south as the worst they have to deal with up in the borders is a sheep jam.

Its going to be interesting when operations start from there and they put same amount of work out they do at present and we start bringing stuff back because of hours or we have to do nights out cos some numpty in a bmw cant wait a few seconds to get some where and has a kiss and cuddle with some unsuspecting. The best bit to that scenario is the fact the unit i drive is on the road 24 hrs and it will make them sit up when they cant get a trunk down to us a few times....

I`m gona tell them i shall go untill i find somat local that doesnt cost 2 gallons of diesal a day, as we have Tesco Bookers DHL Ocado all within walking distance iam definitly going to look elsewhere its not like where the head office is where they are a captive audience we can choose a bit more.
    Dearly beloved doesnt want me to go up as she sees me now only by phone so it will be worse still when it kicks off there.
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Too right. Can't say as I blame you. That's the problem with most companies
    these days. Reality seems to have taken a back seat, and the $$$$$$$$
    accountant types who just look at figures on paper seem to be making all the
    decisions. I'd definitely look for something more convenient if I were in your
    place. All the best in your hunt.

Comment

every company is the same they listen to sombody about how they are going to save money, but in this case the move will prob be only short term as they are going to have to pay extra on fuel cost etc...
      the rent that they pay now must be a lot or they wouldnt cosider the move.
      cant beleave that they wont pay you travel money though thats just gay!
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
        cant beleave that they wont pay you travel money though thats just gay!

Comment

I had the same problem, was working a 9-10 hour day plus a 20 min drive each way, then the company closed the branch to relocate to Maidstone, so I was doing in total a 13 hour day, went to see a solicitor and they said it was unreasonable to expect the extra travel, anyway I had a meeting with MD and he said boll*cks just get on with it.

In the end we threatened them with an industrial tribunal, and they paid me the full 15 years redundancy.

So it might be worth you contacting a union or a solicitor.

Comment

a couple of guys have been to the cab and from what they are sayin that what they are doin is legal but they use the attitude of if you dont like it

Comment

Trouble is that CAB are W*nkers, you can get 30 min with a employment solicitor for £20,just to see if you have a case, paid off in my case.

Comment

Think you'll find if the company relocates more than 3 miles they have to offer you redundancy if you dont want to move with them. happened with our place earlier this year.
                TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

This is worth reading. http://www.direct.gov.uk/Employment/...541&chk=kb7Swr

Comment

Had the same happen with me some time ago when working as a NT Consultant. We had offices in Warrington [which was bad enough on normal days] and the company went and moved to Crewe [even worse Junction 16 to 18 on the M6 ].

Trouble I had was we only hot-desked the office occassionaly with being on the road. Had to lump it..even worse when I gave up the consultancy work as I had been driving too much and fell asleep at the wheel and made the decision that that was enough...and went as the company's internal administrator [4 hours a day driving on top of a full day]...some days leaving after 7pm
                    Gaz

Comment

http://www.acas.org.uk/

Try this site Mark, I've found it VERY useful dealing with the crowd that employ me.
                      Nihil illigitimi carborundum

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts guys but after reading the info links you gave the get out clause in our contracts is because we have other depots the wrote into it that we may be asked to work and travel to other location as the need arises....

definatly kicked in the........

I am lucky in one respect in that my mum lives 5 miles down the road but for obvious reasons i dont want to go there... I have also considered getting a caravan and leaving it in my mums boyfriends yard both have been shot in the foot by her ladyship aka the yorkshire dwarf.
                        I did consider selling the house and move up north a bit closer but the eldest is just going into 6 form and the youngest is just going up to secondry so thats out of the equation too...

I only have one option at the mo and that is to keep putting feelers out i have 3 application on the desk ready to be filled this weekend and go from there..

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                          After 11 years service with the same haulage company mainly for convenience the firm i work for is moving 30 miles north, .
                          Spare a thought for me. My lot are moving 140 miles south in 18 months and as I'm a mobile grade (in old MOD terms) I either go or am deemed to have left my job. No offers of redundancy, no arguements.

If anyone has work for an systems engineer with 20 years experience of 'various aviation based electronic systems', in the Worcestershire area do let me know!

Its a bit of a p*sser as all of mine and Vicki's family are on Merseyside, and another 3 hours further south on top of the 2.5 we already have is really just not on!
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                            Spare a thought for me. My lot are moving 140 miles south in 18 months and as I'm a mobile grade (in old MOD terms) I either go or am deemed to have left my job. No offers of redundancy, no arguements.

If anyone has work for an systems engineer with 20 years experience of 'various aviation based electronic systems', in the Worcestershire area do let me know!

Its a bit of a p*sser as all of mine and Vicki's family are on Merseyside, and another 3 hours further south on top of the 2.5 we already have is really just not on!
                            that sucks m8!!!!

are you military or are you a contractor??
                            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
                              that sucks m8!!!!

are you military or are you a contractor??
                              In that netherworld between the two where employment conditions seem to be a bit of a netherworld too.
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X