Aint been slackin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aint been slackin

Just a quick garage door update, As you can see i have'nt been slacking, spent most of the last week making the hinges and two big drop bolts out of old angle, plate and 3/8" steel gas pipe, could'nt afford the real ones at about 30-40 quid a pair,The doors (down the pit) are just about ready except for diagonals, Just ordered anchor through bolts, coach bolts and coach screws from screwfix so not long now till i take the sledge to the old door, It's all becomeing very heavy so i hope it dose'nt bring the front of the garage off with it I could'nt be arsed painting em all so i dipped em one by one in a gall can of chassis black and hung em up, I also drilled a hole in each one and tapped it to take a grease nipple, so when i do the truck i can do the doors as well
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Blimey! all that just for a couple of doors.

Nice to see you've been hard at it Ian.

Just one thing, get some preservative on the cut ends of those timbers.

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
      Just a quick garage door update, As you can see i have'nt been slacking, spent most of the last week making the hinges and two big drop bolts out of old angle, plate and 3/8" steel gas pipe, could'nt afford the real ones at about 30-40 quid a pair,The doors (down the pit) are just about ready except for diagonals, Just ordered anchor through bolts, coach bolts and coach screws from screwfix so not long now till i take the sledge to the old door, It's all becomeing very heavy so i hope it dose'nt bring the front of the garage off with it I could'nt be arsed painting em all so i dipped em one by one in a gall can of chassis black and hung em up, I also drilled a hole in each one and tapped it to take a grease nipple, so when i do the truck i can do the doors as well
      Buster will love your work
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Blimey! all that just for a couple of doors.

Nice to see you've been hard at it Ian.

Just one thing, get some preservative on the cut ends of those timbers.
        Vince, I was wondering what to paint on em, I want to gloss paint the outside as opposed to a garden fence type paint, (to match the other paint work) but as it's treated timber is it ok to use thinned down undercoat as a first coat followed by under coat and then gloss?

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Buster will love your work
          Yeah plenty of wood to chew on,

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
            Vince, I was wondering what to paint on em, I want to gloss paint the outside as opposed to a garden fence type paint, (to match the other paint work) but as it's treated timber is it ok to use thinned down undercoat as a first coat followed by under coat and then gloss?

Yep, as long as it's oil based paint, then anything will do.

Make sure the exposed ends get a good covering, as thats where the rot gets started.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Yep, as long as it's oil based paint, then anything will do.

Make sure the exposed ends get a good covering, as thats where the rot gets started.
              Cheers Vince, i'll upend em saturday and give em a good soaking.

Comment

Working...
              X