Import Build specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Build specifications

Ok, so i recently bought a lovely little beast, mostly for cruising round europe, surfin and pickin up hoe's (we can only hope) however i stupidly didn't give enough thought to the fact that the car (2.4TD surf ssr-x "92 build) is an import from Japan.....bugger

so now my insurer hates me, and it would save me millions if i can insure it with them. what i need to know is; of course all the labels etc on the car are in english, the speedo is in mph and its right hand drive... but is there any way of knowing if the car would have been built to UK specifications???

oh also if anyone has any cool ideas of how to improve the car for long tours and sleepin in, all suggestions welcome

cheers matt

Try Footman James (0845 4586791), they insure both my wife's and my own Surf and are usually good regarding no claim bonus rates.

Good luck.
    Brian

Comment

Sounds like you need to find an insurer who knows his ass from his elbow.

Most reputable insurers should insure Japanese grey import Surfs without question (though it often depends on how good the telephone 'operative' is- as to what answer you get).

Comment

heres 4 companies that will insure you without giving any hassle
        lifesure group.....01480 474604

tesco.....08453 004400

a-plan....08450 711234

adrian flux....0870 0777888

i've been with lifesure now for nearly 3yrs they also insure the wifes import celica
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

It won't have been built to UK specifications because there are no UK specified Surfs, they're all Japanese. 4Runners are the same thing (basically) but never came in a 2.4 so yours is 100% jap.

Try the insurers people recommend on here - Footman James, Adrian Flux, Lifesure etc etc if yours won't cover it. And don't worry, they hated you already, they just coudn't thinking of a way of attacking you before.

Oh yeah, put a futon mattress from Ikea in the back and you have a bed. Done.
          Last edited by Sancho; 31 August 2006, 13:49.

Comment

ok all sounds good, i'll just have to spend the day phoning round, tomorrows gonna be a good day, i can tell already.... my problem is that im not sure if i want to insure my surf for a whole year so finding a temporary insurer is where all the big problems tend to come in, if anyone has any ideas then please share.....

oh and for a bit of fun, if u guys were gonna cruise round europe in da big brute of a pimp mobil, (check my gangsta lingo, i am cool), what would u do to it???? all suggestions will be put to the committee during my lunch break

matt

Comment

Originally posted by dulcamara
              oh and for a bit of fun, if u guys were gonna cruise round europe in da big brute of a pimp mobil, (check my gangsta lingo, i am cool), what would u do to it???? all suggestions will be put to the committee during my lunch break

matt
              1. Get it serviced and look at enhancing the cooling system.
              2. If you've got a laptop get a GPS receiver and an FM transmitter so you can find out where you are in Europe and beam music directly into your radio all at once. Otherwise, get satnav and a thing that plugs into an iPod.
              3. Get a roof tent so you can sleep on top.
              4. Get a load of booze and put it in the space where you were going to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                1. Get it serviced and look at enhancing the cooling system.
                2. If you've got a laptop get a GPS receiver and an FM transmitter so you can find out where you are in Europe and beam music directly into your radio all at once. Otherwise, get satnav and a thing that plugs into an iPod.
                3. Get a roof tent so you can sleep on top.
                4. Get a load of booze and put it in the space where you were going to sleep.
                Hey Sanch,

You forgot to mention RAC/AA cover to get you home when it breaks
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by dulcamara
                  what would u do to it???? all suggestions will be put to the committee during my lunch break
                  Bushwacker - post that picture of your tent that fits on the back of the truck.

Matt - completely overhaul the cooling system - there are loads of threads about what you should do - the 2.4's are prone to overheating (ahem)

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                    Hey Sanch,

You forgot to mention RAC/AA cover to get you home when it breaks
                    Oh yeah, that was pretty useful when I last tried going to Europe.

Alternative is of course to take a few washers and do a Surfstar - just raise the bonnet up and let the head crack all it wants.....

Comment

footman james and co , i would strongly recomend that blue ice coolant that some people ar raving about ` but whatever you do if you do use it flush the cooling system of the old stuff good and proper as the old red toyota stuff wont mix with most stuff and blocks the system up but hey what would i know f,,,,n 4th gen `

Comment

Originally posted by mrsurf
                        i would strongly recomend that blue ice coolant that some people ar raving but hey what would i know f,,,,n 4th gen `
                        Hello Mrs. Urf,

Glad we've got a 'dealer' amongst us - got any eeee's????

4th gen eh?

There's lovely

Comment

okey dokey, she's insured and radiators been flushed out (will look at enhancing in a bit), oh just wondering, i have a second radiator under my car that the haynes manual (which by the by is pretty terrible for this car) says shouldn't exist, is this just an oil cooler or something far more exciting??

have given up on the rear window and sticking speedo, sounds like the next step is definitely to find a cheap laptop and some toys.... roof tent sounds worrying, i can see that all ending in a short drop and tears, maybe i'll sleep under it.

so how likely is it that its gonna make it round europe in one piece??? taking bets

Comment

the second rad is for the air con. the rear window may just need a bit of a clean and lube. i'm saying nowt about the trip cos i dont want to tempt fate!
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Get some of this for the rear window, and spray it everywhere the glass touches!

Comment

Working...
                              X