who knows about domestic appliances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who knows about domestic appliances

we have an hotpoint washer that stops in mid cycle.

my first thought was the programer, but after doing a little tinternet search found that this is one of many poss faults. I know very little about washers so anybody know any tricks how to find out what the fault is???

it has not got a digital display for the error codes either!!
    CHEERS JOHN................

Check the strainer at the bottom of the machine, there's normally a twist and pull out drawer that catches all the fluff and trinkets that fall out of the clothes when washing. Put some towels down on the floor first though.

Comment

Like Vince says, most likely to be the filter's blocked up. This will stop the machine shifting to the final rinse / spin cycle as it automatically cuts out to prevent damage to the pump.

If it's not that it's probably the 'brains' of the machine behind all the dials and stuff. It's normally the timing mechanism that wears out. Most engineers will be able to pull it out and stick a new one in pretty quickly.

Comment

have a root around on this site.

I have used it a few times and it realy is a great site.

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/
        Last edited by Greebo; 30 August 2006, 10:37.
        mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

When it stops.. is the machine full of water... if so its probably the pump or maybe the control system that drives the pump..

Check the filter as suggested, but more than likely its
          the pump.. my machine did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago, I posted a site on this forum for parts ..new pump £20.00 fitted in ten minutes.. all good

http://shop.ezee-fix.co.uk/Spare_Par...ussi_1054.html

To check my machine i tipped it on its side.. empty of course and as it had stopped during its cycle trying to empty the machine, i used a multimeter to check for mains volts on the pump, volts were present so the control unit was good.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

My 15 year old Hoover washer is still going strong despite having engineers out to remove Bra wires from the pump three times! This "fault" generally stops them mid-cycle too!

Comment

thanks for the input guys!!

the $$$$$$ thing is confusing me now its showing diffrent faults like stopping with water in just before rinse, then stopping after rinsing then stopping mid cycle then flashing on prewash.

as a test it was put on a quick wash which doesnt get used to much, and it did a full cycle with out any probs at all!!!

i have not yet checked the basics that you guys have suggested so that will be on the cards this weekend well if its raining anyway other wise i will be working on the surf...
              CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Hmmm at a guess if it did the quick cycle with no problems then all the main bits... main motor/ pump/ valvels etc are working..
                It would seem to point to a worn controller..as you say the quck wash is rarely used and the controller works fine for that section of its operation..

At a guess the controller on your machine is one of the twist knobs that sounds like you winding up a clock when you twist it.. as this knob rotates slowly during the wash cycle little cams inside operate microswitches to control the various bits in the machine.. if these cams wear or the microswitches die then problems..

A new controller should not be that hard to replace
                Last edited by Vultch; 1 September 2006, 11:09.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

I think u will find its the brushes in the electric motor. U will find it will cost u between £12 and £25 to buy them and it takes around 15 mins to change them.
                  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

aint the domestic appliance...that thing that whinges during the football, has two feet that fit nicely next to the kickboards near the sink. Just change this one for a newer, younger model

only kidding ladies
                    Gaz

Comment

Working...
                    X