Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hi All,

I currently have a Skyline, and I'm looking for a runaround I've got my eye on a 1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4 TD Auto with a full Jaos kits and recaro interior that done 140,000 kms. What are they like on fuel ?

I've heard the heads are weak on them or something. I'm going to have a look over this site for some answers, but if you can give me some handy pointers that would be great

Moff
    Into Japs ... Nip Online ... www.mofomos.co.uk

Welcome to the Nut house .....
    ...Have a look here http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/And herehttp://www.hiluxsurf.eu/faq_intro.htmfor more information
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Ooh! another Reading boy!

Hi Tim, welcome on board.

Here's a pointer....
      Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting reading, and yup, I'm actually in Wokingham nr Reading

£800 for a new head... Is there anyway of checking if it has been replaced, or is it touch and go ? This car has been in the Uk for 6 months..

Moff

Comment

Hi Moff - welcome to the first signs of madness.....

To check the head, you could:

Take the head off and have a look for the Woolworths Label
          Call the owner and ask for a fitting guarantee/receipt if he has one

I did the latter, much easier than the former and got a faxed copy of the doc I now have in a folder showing date, cost and garage with guarantee for a year...

Have fun with your Surf - I know I do with mine

Andrew
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

hi Moff and welcome
            ive got a 2.4td 1992 sitting on my drive not doing much, jus had its head done an im falt broke so shes got about 180k on her , all she needs is an mot n tax shes got plenty of history cos i bought her off here in march/feb time
            Cheers
            Scotty

Drink Jagermeister Responsibly

Comment

Thanks Avalon, It needs to be an L plate as I have a private plate to go on..

So, if I cant get a receipt or confirmation of the work being done, I could b facing a big bill soon for a new head ?

Moff

Comment

not always true.some surfs will go on for years without any trouble at all.theres a few on here that will vouch for that.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

by the way,hi and welcome to the forum
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Do most go then, and only a few are fine ?

Moff

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                      not always true.some surfs will go on for years without any trouble at all.theres a few on here that will vouch for that.
                      i had my 2.4 for 2 yrs i was the 1st uk owner and nothing wrong with it.The people who have it now have had it nearly 6 months and its still going strong.No matter what vehicle you buy you will always have a chance of something expensive going wrong.As long as its looked after and serviced regular you shouldnt have any probs.The trouble is you only hear when something goes wrong
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Oh hi and welcome to the mad house
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i suppose its like anything.we all know that there is a defect with the head,but only time will tell,if yours will go.some one with more experience than me might be able to answer that question ,better than i can.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Moff
                            Do most go then, and only a few are fine ?

Moff
                            Nope. A few go, and most are fine. Most of the ones that do go are because
                            people haven't serviced and maintained the cooling system. There are some
                            failures which are purely down to pot luck. There was a design fault with some
                            head batches, but then, some of the supposedly good ones have gone also.
                            Ask any of the people on here who believe and practice preventative
                            maintenance. Chances are very few, if any, of them will have had head
                            problems. Worst case scenario, head goes, replace with uprated head, no more
                            worrying.

Welcome, BTW.

Comment

thanks for the input guys... so basically I'm taking a minimal risk with all of them... unless I buy one that has just had the head done ?

Do they all come standard with Air con ?

Moff

Comment

Working...
                              X