X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big ends

i wonder if any of you guys can help.

a neighbour of mine who is not on the net has a problem

he was driving home the other day when he heard an almighty grinding noise.

he has had a guy to look at it, well start it up, and he recons it his big end.

its a 2.4 auto, had the head done. he says it starts ok, but if you put your foot on the gas it makes a hellish grinding noise.

any help would be great as he is at the end of his tether, he loves the surf but doesnt know if it worth sorting or selling it as is.

if you have any idea of a rough figure as to how much this would cost and how big a job it is that would be super.

again many thanks

cheers scotty

Check the crankshaft pulley hasn't come loose. Mine was making a noise like a bag of bolts and it turned out that the bolt holding the pulley on had come loose.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

cheers roger

Comment

Doubt if its the big ends they dont grind they knock when knackered.

Comment

I had a similar problem although the grinding noise has now gone. Every so often though, there is a rattling sound from the engine and I have to dip the clutch and drop the revs. This clears it. I think a piece of the clutch (a spring??) has come off and sometimes it gets caught and gets kicked around for a few seconds. I'm getting a new clutch fitted next week.

Andy

Comment

thanks guys,

spoke to the guy this monring, the machanic that he uses had a better look at it yesterday, and it seems to be the turbo thats goosed.

so how much are you talking for a new turbo and where from?

is it better to get a new one or can you get the old one reconditioned?

again many thanks, and auldnick, go to the top of the class mate

cheers scotty

Comment

whoops sorry!!!
              i thought this was a post about the wife
              oooops sorry
              at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Working...
              X