Economy test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy test

Hi I have had my surf for about 2 weeks now and I have tested it's fuel consumption over about 600 km with normal driving in both towns and motorway cirtainly not thrashing it and I only get around 20 miles to the Gallon. Which I understand is pretty much the worst people get on here.

It is a 3L 95 model, is there anything I should check or do to make this any better ? I thought about 25 MPG would be expected.

Cheers

Originally posted by BI1
    Hi I have had my surf for about 2 weeks now and I have tested it's fuel consumption over about 600 km with normal driving in both towns and motorway cirtainly not thrashing it and I only get around 20 miles to the Gallon. Which I understand is pretty much the worst people get on here.

It is a 3L 95 model, is there anything I should check or do to make this any better ? I thought about 25 MPG would be expected.

Cheers
    Was it a new import, if so it will have been standing a while and will settle down after a bit however you can do the following.

1. Check the Air Filter - if it's dirty the fuel consumption will go through the roof.
    2. Do a Redex injector cleaner treatment - use 1 bottle in 1/4 tank of Diesel, don't follow the instructions on the bottle.
    3. Don't worry about it too much. The Surf has a particular driving style that you will adapt to and economy will improve.

You should expect about 25mpg average, a bit less for a 2.4 but you may need to run it for a couple of thousand miles before things settle down if it has been standing for a while. Also the driving style of the previous owner may have been different and may have been all around town in which case it will be well coked up and will need a good run and some redex to get it running efficiently again.

Enjoy it, things work out in the end.

Cheers

Comment

Ec@%@my please there are children using this sight, any more swearing and I will petition for a trip to the sin bin for you.

Ian
      Last edited by high-surfer; 13 January 2004, 12:45.
      Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Comment

Take the Handbrake off
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

You don't need to put obstacles in his way by building a partition!

I think you meant petition mate

Originally posted by high-surfer
          Ec@%@my please there are children using this sight, any more swearing and I will partition for a trip to the sin bin for you.

Ian
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

I have had mine from an import for a few weeks now, and soo far the fuel eco's not great.....i have tried a redex shot, but its looking like £40 of diesel @ 78.8ppl is getting me around 220 miles :-(
            I do a reasonable amount of town driving but usually a few miles on A-roads on the weekends...
            2 Tone Mud Master!
            http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X