Side steps gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side steps gone

OK even though the weather is completely c**p I just got under my Surf and took off the Side steps. I'll post some pictures when the weather improves and I've charged up the Camera.

What a difference. I like the look a lot better although you can now really see what limits the breakover angle on the Surf and it isn't the side steps, it's the fuel tank and the rear trainling arm mounting brackets that are the lowest plus the skid plate for the transfer box.

Makes the car a lot easier to get in and out of as well as you aren't having to clear 6 inches of metal before you get to the door.

Makes my Surf look like it's got a 4" lift now. cooooooool

Cheers

My transfer box skid plate was adjusted last time at the pit so it aint so low anymore. More info on this type of modification to come. Do you not worry about this sort of mod now you have no real sill protection.

Ian
    Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Comment

Originally posted by high-surfer
      My transfer box skid plate was adjusted last time at the pit so it aint so low anymore. More info on this type of modification to come. Do you not worry about this sort of mod now you have no real sill protection.

Ian
      Not at the moment Ian as my tyres kind of limit where I can go anyway. By the time I get some real decent tyres on (might go for some Colway remoulds) I will have some rock sliders on anyway.

Cheers

Comment

Andy

It does make the surf look higher as you say,and makes it look more aggressive,but the only problem is that you get more sh*t up the side of the motor,also I spun the rear wheels in reverse the other day and covered the door mirrors in mud.

I am still looking at fitting rock sliders,but they are far too expensive to get from the US,well not the price of the bars but the shipping is more than the bars cost,so I have managed to get some drawings from one of the guys on 4x4wire and with some photo's will try to get a price for them to be made.

If anybody needs a copy of the drawing give me a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
          Andy

It does make the surf look higher as you say,and makes it look more aggressive,but the only problem is that you get more sh*t up the side of the motor,also I spun the rear wheels in reverse the other day and covered the door mirrors in mud.

I am still looking at fitting rock sliders,but they are far too expensive to get from the US,well not the price of the bars but the shipping is more than the bars cost,so I have managed to get some drawings from one of the guys on 4x4wire and with some photo's will try to get a price for them to be made.

If anybody needs a copy of the drawing give me a shout.
          Andy.

Would certainly like a copy of the drawing. Depending on how much bending is required, I might be able to make them or get my local engineering shop to make them.

Cheers

Comment

when i was hit in the side by the white van man, he hit my step and bounced off it. no step he would have hit my door
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Personally I think Surfs look much better with the steps on, and wouldn't take mine off for any reason.
              Pete

Comment

took mine off... people said it looked good...

colway remoulds... i got a set of M/Ts... also good! i was impressed!
                noisy on road though, sounds like an air raid siren going off! and cornering feels a bit like the wheel bearings have gone cos it runs onto the wider shoulder tread.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                  took mine off... people said it looked good...

colway remoulds... i got a set of M/Ts... also good! i was impressed!
                  noisy on road though, sounds like an air raid siren going off! and cornering feels a bit like the wheel bearings have gone cos it runs onto the wider shoulder tread.
                  Yeah I'll probably get a spare set of wheels for the Colways if I get them as I don't want to go deaf.

I did like the look of them on yours though, really chunky tread pattern, looks like they could dig themselves a hole without even moving.

My Wife just saw the Surf with the side steps gone and she liked it much better. Might make a Surf fan out of her yet

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X