Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wobble

Hi

Got a wobble on the steering of the hilux, the steering wheel also doesn't sit straight whilst driving, have to hold slightly to the right when driving. Also have noticed that sometimes when breaking the vehicle vears slightly to the right, any ideas, it's under warranty but want some idea as to what the problem is before I take it back. I need a quick response on this as I need to take it in today as I am due to drive down to cornwall on Saturday!!!
    And god said...........let there be surfs!

Originally posted by clutch
    Hi

Got a wobble on the steering of the hilux, the steering wheel also doesn't sit straight whilst driving, have to hold slightly to the right when driving. Also have noticed that sometimes when breaking the vehicle vears slightly to the right, any ideas, it's under warranty but want some idea as to what the problem is before I take it back. I need a quick response on this as I need to take it in today as I am due to drive down to cornwall on Saturday!!!
    i would say it was you discs that may be warped!!

get them to change them along with the pads!!
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Would the disks cause the wobble, also noticed the front left tyre doesn't seem to be sitting flush, it seems to be leaning out slightly, any ideas

Comment

Would the disks cause the wobble, also noticed the front left tyre doesn't seem to be sitting flush, it seems to be leaning out slightly, any ideas
        yeah warped disc,s can cause a wobble!
        if the tyre does appear out of true then get them to check the tracking and all steering components as well.. as that tyre got uneven ware on it?

Comment

no it hasn't but it is new, does it make any difference having radials and no radials on the car, the two back ones are radial but a mixture on the front, the spare is a non radial so was wondering if it would be best to swap this with the radial on the front to even things out.

Comment

Front left tyres sometimes get bumped against the kerb causing the wheel alignment to be knocked out, but if you noticed the tyre/wheel leaning out at the top, you've got steering/suspension problems. The same reason for the pulling to the right when braking.

Comment

The tyre seem to lean out at the bottom, just to be awkward

Comment

no it hasn't but it is new, does it make any difference having radials and no radials on the car, the two back ones are radial but a mixture on the front, the spare is a non radial so was wondering if it would be best to swap this with the radial on the front to even things out.
                as long as the tyres are the same size then it shouldnt make any diffrence. but if the tyre doesnt sit true then there is either a problem with the tyre/wheel, steering/tracking get them to check it out!

Comment

Thats negative camber, to help with cornering stability. Is the front of your truck low? maybe there's something wrong with the torsion bar on the passenger side. Can't really tell from descriptions, a photo would help loads here.
                  Take it to a wheel alignment/tracking garage where they can do the measurements.

Comment

the front seems fine, I'm taking it back today. he is saying he won't do the work if it is the disk as wear and tear after a week, I think he's taking the p**s myself.

Comment

the two back ones are radial but a mixture on the front, the spare is a non radial so was wondering if it would be best to swap this with the radial on the front to even things out.
                      Hello,

You should NEVER mix tyre types - you'd be better swapping them around to have the radials on the front.

And yes, he's taking the pis* saying he won't cover front disks after a week, if that's what the problem turns out to be.
                      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Got the surf checked, brakes and disks fine but lower ball joints need replacing, oh the joy. Anyone know why a prop shaft would be removed from a surf. I went with my mate to look at one for sale and it had only one shaft and no dif lock. It was a fresh 2nd gen import, just seemed a bit odd

Comment

Maybe it was removed so it could be towed. (shouldn't really tow an automatic, Unless the driven wheels are off the ground) Or for security reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            Maybe it was removed so it could be towed. (shouldn't really tow an automatic, Unless the driven wheels are off the ground) Or for security reasons.
                            What difference does it make, and how easy is itto re fit?
                            Also, especially to Bushwacker, as you seem to answer most of my dumbass questions do you think the new ball joints and a wheel alignment will fix the wobble and the pull on braking?

Comment

It damages the transmission 'cos the fluid isn't circulating.
                              The propshaft is easy to fit, hopefully the person who removed it, made some index marks on the mating surfaces so it goes back on and not be out of balance.
                              If the ball joints were badly worn, then they would cause the problems you were having, coupled with the wheel alignment being out.

Comment

Working...
                              X