Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purchase advise (Newbie)

Hi
    My name is John and I apologise for my first post being for help and quite long but I am really not sure the Surf will do what I need it for so I am hoping you may be able to help.
    We show dogs (Tervuerens) and tow our caravan up and down the country doing so, at the moment we use an E300TD Merc estate and although it does the job I would like something that has the capability of towing our van 1800kg+ and also has a bit more room in the back for the dogs.
    I guess that the 3.0 would be the one to go for but I am a little concerned about the overheating/head problems that would seem to be quite common reading through the forum, I guess that quite a few of you also tow with the Surf so how do you find it copes, would an oil cooler help also maybe an extra cooling fan?
    I am considering two dealers at the moment www.milwards.co.uk (Lancing) and CCB www.japanesecarimporters.com (Guildford) has anyone had any dealings with them.
    Thanks for any help
    John
    [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
    [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Originally posted by rockey
    Hi
    My name is John and I apologise for my first post being for help and quite long but I am really not sure the Surf will do what I need it for so I am hoping you may be able to help.
    We show dogs (Tervuerens) and tow our caravan up and down the country doing so, at the moment we use an E300TD Merc estate and although it does the job I would like something that has the capability of towing our van 1800kg+ and also has a bit more room in the back for the dogs.
    I guess that the 3.0 would be the one to go for but I am a little concerned about the overheating/head problems that would seem to be quite common reading through the forum, I guess that quite a few of you also tow with the Surf so how do you find it copes, would an oil cooler help also maybe an extra cooling fan?
    I am considering two dealers at the moment www.milwards.co.uk (Lancing) and CCB www.japanesecarimporters.com (Guildford) has anyone had any dealings with them.
    Thanks for any help
    John
    look here for dealer info http://www.arborwood.com/awforums/sh...1.php?fid=4291 why not have a look at this one http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=194
    Last edited by gemini; 6 September 2003, 14:05.
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Hi John,
      Welcome aboard M8.

First please remember forums sometimes give a bad impression, things always going wrong etc, our forum is the same.
      On the cylinder head problem, yes there can be a problem, but to date only the 2.4 Litre diesels ie LN 130's, manufactured upto to 1994. The 3.0 l diesel KZN 130 manufactured from 1993 & KZN 185 or petrol engined don't appear to have this problem. But to be fair even the LN130's have not recorded that many on the forum.

So depending on the amount of dosh you have, wil depend on model available.

As you are in deepest West Sussex, give ANDY a call ( he's a forum member ) he sells Surf's, & is right on your doorstep at Polegate.

What ever model you choose & from whom tred very careful, lots of bull**** from dealers who know jot about Surfs. Talk with other members first, either by messages on forum or private mails, either way there is a lot of knowledge out there on the forum.

If you want any more help send a private mail & i'll help all i can, but please please do'nt be rushed, like buses theres always another Surf coming round the corner.

Good Surf Hunting

Sewerat Bob
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

John,
        Sorry should have read your profile first , mm mm now lets see
        NO YOU CANNOT PUT A ROLLS ROYCE TYNE OR DART ENGINE IN A SURF BEFORE YOU EVEN ASK

Sewerat Bob
        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

hiya john i had a 406 peugeot i show my dobermanns and as you do travel a lot. i have bought a 3 l 96 surf diesel and mate its the nuts plenty of room for the dogs and the bonus of the back window rolling down is great for them. i am waiting for my grills to come i went to barjos to have them measured for it and they cost 400 pounds but wot a lovly motor. so far returning about 650 kilomiteres per tank. you wont want another car mark
          black n tan
          black n tan
          yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Thanks for the response guys, sewerat are you sure I cant fit the RR engine lol, as you say no rush, I still have to sell the Merc first or find a deal with it.
            Mark, my daughter Michelle was into showing Dobermans, she did very well with one 'Swndyr me and my girl' also our friend in Wales has a sister Lynne Jones also in Dobes, small world eh, do you tow with yours and if so what's the economy like.
            Cheers
            John
            [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
            [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

well well another swynder dog crimestopper seems to be doing well on the circuit now and i have probably seen your daughter around i dont tow with mine but honestly mate get one i wont have another motor now a surf man forever
              black n tan
              black n tan
              yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

i've got a '91 2.4td, but if i had the dosh i would have definately gone for 3ltr, expect 20mpg, some get more mpg upto 26, but none get less than 20mpg (lead footed), manual transmission gives better economy, and removes the need for a cooler if towing excessively, but an auto is very nice to drive very smooth. The 2.4 is about 100bhp, the 3.0l is about 130bhp, with no significant difference in economy, if you are going to use it mainly for the dogs, then you might be better off going for a model with a underslung spare wheel, as the rear mounted has to be swung out to open the tailgate, the 2nd gen has a elec window on the tail which has to be lowered first before the tailgate can be opened (my collie tries to jump out as soon as the window is dropped which is a bit of a nuisance as he has already had a back injury, and it is quite a high jump, the 3rd gen has fixed glass i believe, (3rd gen guys, can you confirm this), but overall it is simply the best vehicle i have owned, i'm just saving for a black over silver 3.0l
                [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
                  i've got a '91 2.4td, but if i had the dosh i would have definately gone for 3ltr, expect 20mpg, some get more mpg upto 26, but none get less than 20mpg (lead footed), manual transmission gives better economy, and removes the need for a cooler if towing excessively, but an auto is very nice to drive very smooth. The 2.4 is about 100bhp, the 3.0l is about 130bhp, with no significant difference in economy, if you are going to use it mainly for the dogs, then you might be better off going for a model with a underslung spare wheel, as the rear mounted has to be swung out to open the tailgate, the 2nd gen has a elec window on the tail which has to be lowered first before the tailgate can be opened (my collie tries to jump out as soon as the window is dropped which is a bit of a nuisance as he has already had a back injury, and it is quite a high jump, the 3rd gen has fixed glass i believe, (3rd gen guys, can you confirm this), but overall it is simply the best vehicle i have owned, i'm just saving for a black over silver 3.0l
                  3rd gen has swing up tailgate just like an estate car BUT the glass does wind down too.

Comment

I tow a heavy caravan (1340 KG unladen) and probably about 1500 KG loaded. This is about an 85% match for my 2.4 91 Surf and it tows it beautifully. You have a very heavy van at 1800 KG and this would certainly be a 100% match for a Surf. Rather heavier than would be advised but I would not imagine that your current vehicle is any heavier than the Surf so you are probably towing 100%+ now. Much as I love the Surf I think that I would advise you to go for something heavier if your towing weight is correct.

Happy and safe towing.

Keith

Comment

we bought our Surf for dog showing too, we believe that the drop-down gate is safer for any young pups as they can be controlled before lowering the gate.

just doing milage check on it so can't answer that part yet.
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Sewerat
                        Hi John,
                        Welcome aboard M8.

First please remember forums sometimes give a bad impression, things always going wrong etc, our forum is the same.
                        On the cylinder head problem, yes there can be a problem, but to date only the 2.4 Litre diesels ie LN 130's, manufactured upto to 1994. The 3.0 l diesel KZN 130 manufactured from 1993 & KZN 185 or petrol engined don't appear to have this problem. But to be fair even the LN130's have not recorded that many on the forum.

Sewerat Bob
                        I think that's a quite sensible reply because we just bought our Surf and after buying it, we read all the 'horror' stories and was terrified ours was gonna explode.
                        But, when it's put into perspective like that, it does help your peace of mind somewhat.

prevention is always better than cure, so for us newbies - what tips etc can we do to help prevent this 'potential' problem?

the problem with any forum is that you always hear the bad bits more than the good bits - and this, I believe, can actually be a good thing as it warns and helps new people coming into the 'gang'.

I for one, am proud of my new baby, and if i can help, what appears to be a very good forum compaired to many I've been on I will.
                        Dave

Comment

I tow a heavy caravan (1340 KG unladen) and probably about 1500 KG loaded. This is about an 85% match for my 2.4 91 Surf and it tows it beautifully. You have a very heavy van at 1800 KG and this would certainly be a 100% match for a Surf. Rather heavier than would be advised but I would not imagine that your current vehicle is any heavier than the Surf so you are probably towing 100%+ now. Much as I love the Surf I think that I would advise you to go for something heavier if your towing weight is correct.
                          Again thanks for the replies, the actual weight of the caravan is 1700kg unladen, I thought the Surf was capable of towing upto 2300kg but if the above is correct then it looks like I'll have to do a rethink and just when I was looking forward to doing a little shopping, in fact I had earmarked a couple to look at, a 96 blue over silver and an all silver one, perhaps I will have to look at the Colorado, are they welcome here
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by rockey
                            Again thanks for the replies, the actual weight of the caravan is 1700kg unladen, I thought the Surf was capable of towing upto 2300kg but if the above is correct then it looks like I'll have to do a rethink and just when I was looking forward to doing a little shopping, in fact I had earmarked a couple to look at, a 96 blue over silver and an all silver one, perhaps I will have to look at the Colorado, are they welcome here
                            John
                            get a surf then get a lighter caravan
                            [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                            [size=5][/size]
                            [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Working...
                            X