Garage Doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Doors

I picked up a load of decking from a mate in the week and im makeing garage doors out of it, to replace the up and over one, This'll give me a bit more height so i can fit the light's to my roof bar, I'm makeing them in three parts so i got two hinged together and then hinged to the frame one side and the other
    (a narrow'er one) so i can get in without opening the lot, They are approx
    2mt high by 6 decking strips wide (the two bigger ones) and 5 peices wide on the narrow'er one, I'm cross braceing em top bottom and centre and also diagonal braces, (12 bolts and 12 screws each brace) Now these things are getting bl00dy heavy so im gonna need some real heavy duty hinges and rawlbolts (for the frame) Aslo thought of fitting some sort of turn-buckle
    torsion rods from the hinge side top to the opposite lower side to help stop em sagging and a jockey wheel on the double pair also to help take the load,
    Does all this sound OK? Dont want em falling off and flattening me first time i open em, Guess i'm just looking for a second oppinion and anything i've missed,
    If my old blacksmith mate was still alive we could have made some hinges, Not sure i trust the B&Q cr@p, Any thought's /ideas welcome Ian
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

You'll need something like these Ian,
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...32911&ts=03671
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...03542&id=75120

What condition/thickness is the frame you're fitting ther doors to?
    Also use three of the above hinges on each door.

Comment

Jeez those hinges are dear, i would need a pack, three on the double door side and two on the single, The original frame is u/s Vince, something like 5x4
      but the bottoms are rotten and being council there not fixed too well so i replaceing em, not too sure what with but thinking of 6" rawlbolts, i was going to use decking for the side frame but i've run out so how about something like 5"-6" x 2"? I do have a lenght of decking that will do for the top, i'm replaceing this as i'n disc cutting half a brick off one side to make it a bit wider as well, Ian

Comment

6" X 2" is ideal for the frame. I use these for fixing frames...http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...06237&id=21343
        Have you got a Wickes store near you, as they'll have what you need, such as gate hinges and frame fixings, and they're open Sundays.

I made and fitted some gates last year for a customer, and was a night- mare of a job 'cos their driveway sloped down, the road out side was a steep hill at 90 degrees to the drive, and she wanted one of the doors to be a single for when she's not using her car. Oh, and the gates had to fold in half because of the slope of the drive and not reduce the width of the entrance too much when open!!!!
        Attached Files

Comment

thats the way i am going to be making mine Vince now that i have won a battle with the help of my solicitor and £400 fees for my access rights up a private drive
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I made those doors from tongue and grooved floor board timber with 4"X2" planed timber for the edging/bracing, and 6"X4" gate posts. One of the center doors is able to open like a single door, with a yale lock/latch. When all gates are shut, they are locked with long bolts that go into the ground.
            Took me a day and a half to do the job 'cos of all the bl**dy angles to contend with!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              I made those doors from tongue and grooved floor board timber with 4"X2" planed timber for the edging/bracing, and 6"X4" gate posts. One of the center doors is able to open like a single door, with a yale lock/latch. When all gates are shut, they are locked with long bolts that go into the ground.
              Took me a day and a half to do the job 'cos of all the bl**dy angles to contend with!!
              i'm just using 4x2 for the post and 6x1 for the panels and 4x2 for the frame work and bracing.I bought all the timber b4 my solicitor gave the go ahead as i knew this foriegner who has just moved in never had a leg to stand on and if he carries on the way he is as he has fallen out with 6 households in as many months then he he litterally wont have any legs as a couple of people have already threatened him
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

HeHe nabours eh! You made a good job of those gate's vince, It's very similar to what i've in mind, I'm only useing decking cos it was free, plus it was from his building site in london, so its better quality than the B&Q stuff, makes for a heavy door though!, Should withstand a direct hit from a scud
                Yes we have a Wick's in waterlooville, i'll give em a look,

Comment

I think you may need a FORKLIFT to open it as it will be heavy.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

HeHe, as long as the front of the garage dose'nt come off with em

Comment

do you bumpkins allways have to steal your stuff from london ???
                      mrs joker's well peeved i aint been able to deck our garden
                      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Why would you want to deck your garden, was it being offensive???

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          Why would you want to deck your garden, was it being offensive???
                          nah , i keep it well underfoot
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

All the rich people live in london so the gears better, This guy's virtually build a double extension with the stuff left over from this site, no naffin heavy duty hinges though,
                            After looking at some in B&Q and Wickes i've decieded to make them, need to get some welding rods for the old SIP first,

Comment

you may be better with these to bolt your frames up, just countersink the head of them flush so they dont foul your doors.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...00056&ts=49061

remember with those hook and band hinges, you point them in opposit directions,ie, the top one pointing up then hang your door, then hook the bottom one onto the band and screw into place pointing downwards.

this means that the local scum cant lift the doors off.

hope that makes sense

cheers scotty

Comment

Working...
                              X