yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Induction kit not good for hilux surf and superchip ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Induction kit not good for hilux surf and superchip ?

IVE just been reading a few topics and im hearing that its better to stick with the standard filter and just replace the filter as an induction kit aint that good????

Is this true and if so should i replace the standard air filter for a K & n one or something just replace it with a standard one ?

Also does anyone know where i can get my hilux superchipped from ?

This has come up a few times, and the reason (generally) that cone filters do not produce the huge horsepower gains spouted in Max Power and other mags of dubious knowledge is that drawing in hot air is a bad thing.

Hot air is less dense (and under the bonnet of the Surf, it's VERY hot) and so drawing hot air into the intake is less efficient than drawing in cooler (denser) air. The standard airbox system draws air from near the passenger side headlamp so has a fighting change of getting some cool air. Unless you were to duct cool air to the cone filter in a similar way, you're probably wasting your time, though it might sound good!

I do have a huge cone filter in the garage and have looked for a suitable spot. I'm wondering if I can fit it somewhere behind the grille if I open up the slats on the left hand side somewhere. This would have the advantage of a pretty short hose to the turbo too. However, it might be VERY BAD news if I decide to drive through deep water any time!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Sorry to butt in guys , but i have come across this thread and was a little bit concerned about what you were saying about the cone shape filters. When i bought my truck it already had one of these cone shaped air filters , i was curious as to why all the pictures of engines that get posted on here all seem to have the filter in the round box. With what you have just said , should i be thinking of changing back to an enclosed round box filter. I have had the truck 11 months now and she is fantastic !!! , no over heating probs or anything else for that matter so should i leave well alone. Don't know chuff about engines as you can probably tell so would be grateful for your expert advice.

Cheers guys

Comment

If you truck is running fine, and you can put up with the induction roar, then leave it alone. If you want a slightly quieter engine and you need to go through puddles that are up to the tops of the wheels, then you'll need the standard filter set-up.

Comment

Slugger, I work in the motor trade & the technicians at my work never have good things to say about induction kits, as per the previous post hot air is not good for the engine. I would return it back to a stock air filter.

Comment

Bushwacker & Iclascaris

Thanks for the prompt replys , you have mentioned something about induction kits , what the hell is it and how will i know if mine has got one ?

My lack of knowledge of engines is really starting to show now !!

Comment

An induction kit is mainly for the boy racers, it includes a cone air filter, like a K&N and a flexible hose to direct cool air directly to the filter from the front of the vehicle.

Type 'induction kit' into Google, then click on images, you'll see what I mean.

Comment

A free flowing filter needs to work in hand with fueling upgrades and exhaust, we've a K&N in Linda's truck and it works fine.

I doubt you'd get THAT much performance improvement thats noticable with just the filter though, although we also have uprated injectors and when the other mods are done they should all work together to produce some difference hopefully.

It makes a sexy noise now that the turbo howl has been overcome.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks again for all your help,

As i said before , i know chuff about engines and very much doubt that i will be doing any mods on mine , firstly - coz i would not know where to start and secondly i do not wish to go any faster as i like to give people time to look and really appreciate the spectacle of a " SURF " !!! quite rare where i live.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    A free flowing filter needs to work in hand with fueling upgrades and exhaust, we've a K&N in Linda's truck and it works fine.

I doubt you'd get THAT much performance improvement thats noticable with just the filter though, although we also have uprated injectors and when the other mods are done they should all work together to produce some difference hopefully.

It makes a sexy noise now that the turbo howl has been overcome.

A supercharger on top of a Hemi, now that's a howl!

Comment

I had the standard kit on my v6 its was fine and very quiet.
                      I bought the full K&n kit from the states (my mrs was over there and its about half the price over there) I think it sounds amazing, its very loud at about 3000. If it has made the car any faster I am not sure, it sounds faster . But based on the fact that if you are getting more air in (and yes you are using slightly more fuel) you must be getting a bigger bang
                      Personally I would not go back, I am very tempted to see if I can get the engine re mapped, as that would probably get more out the filter but that is big cash, however as I also want to convert to gas, I will probably get it re mapped after that.

Comment

I have run induction kits on various cars I have had over the years, not just when I've been doing my 'boy racer' bit and the key to making them work is setting the rest of the car up to allow them to work effectively.

Typically you will not notice a power difference just by slapping on an induction kit - but you should find that the engine revs a bit easier and you get slightly better throttle response (what some people mistake for being more powerful) and it will definately make a difference to the noise.

The key to making induction kits really work is to get cold air to the filter(when you've been for a run - the filter should still be cold even if the rest of the engine bay is hot, it's worth testing this with your hand to check. if it's hot you need to either move it or try and find some way to let hot air escape - louvres etc.) AND you need to adjust the engine settings (as Tony points out) to run with the improved air intake or you'll never realise the performance difference - this is even more important on ram filter kits. We fitted one of these to my mates 106 gti and it ran like a total dog until we increased the fuel flow to compensate and now its such an improvement.

From experience induction kits rarely make a huge difference to overall power on their own but they definately do make a car more responsive. If you tie them in with other mods though (chip, improved manifolds and exhaust etc) then you can realise the bigger power gains.

I can't be bothered to fit one to our Surf, I'd rather have a snorkel which will force feed cool air but that's just my personal preference for this particular car.
                        Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Working...
                        X