Road Noise???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Noise???

My 3.0L, manual gearbox, Surf is fitted with a fairly new set of 31" Runway Enduro A/T tyres and a pair of Warn manual hubs. The operation of the hubs was checked with the wheels off the ground and I am happy that they are working correctly. Both front driveshafts have recently been removed to replace the rubber boots and one of the CV joints was replaced due to wear. The other CV joint was cleaned, inspected and re-greased. I have also recently fitted a solid flywheel conversion.

I travelled from Cornwall to Oxford last weekend and noticed that there was a 'rumbling' type sound that only became audible as 50MPH was exceeded. The 'rumbling' seamed to be road speed related and not engine speed related. The noise was not evident at speeds below 50MPH.

As the manual hubs were both in the 'Free' position, neither of the front drive shafts nor the front axle should be working. Whilst travelling at 60MPH I also dipped the clutch and selected neutral, for a brief period, to try to isolate the gearbox. The noise/rumbling did not die away, or decrease, whilst in neutral.

The pitch of the noise did seam to vary slightly with the roughness or smoothness of the road surface.

My thoughts are that it could be:

a) Tyre noise
    b) Front or rear bearing/s
    c) Rear axle

What I need to know is how to establish which of these possiblities is the reason for the noise/rumble, without replacing one item at a time as a matter of elimination.

Has any one experienced this sort of problem?

Many thanks in advance for any input you can give.
    Brian

Originally posted by Panrixx
    My 3.0L, manual gearbox, Surf is fitted with a fairly new set of 31" Runway Enduro A/T tyres and a pair of Warn manual hubs. The operation of the hubs was checked with the wheels off the ground and I am happy that they are working correctly. Both front driveshafts have recently been removed to replace the rubber boots and one of the CV joints was replaced due to wear. The other CV joint was cleaned, inspected and re-greased. I have also recently fitted a solid flywheel conversion.

I travelled from Cornwall to Oxford last weekend and noticed that there was a 'rumbling' type sound that only became audible as 50MPH was exceeded. The 'rumbling' seamed to be road speed related and not engine speed related. The noise was not evident at speeds below 50MPH.

As the manual hubs were both in the 'Free' position, neither of the front drive shafts nor the front axle should be working. Whilst travelling at 60MPH I also dipped the clutch and selected neutral, for a brief period, to try to isolate the gearbox. The noise/rumbling did not die away, or decrease, whilst in neutral.

The pitch of the noise did seam to vary slightly with the roughness or smoothness of the road surface.

My thoughts are that it could be:

a) Tyre noise
    b) Front or rear bearing/s
    c) Rear axle

What I need to know is how to establish which of these possiblities is the reason for the noise/rumble, without replacing one item at a time as a matter of elimination.

Has any one experienced this sort of problem?

Many thanks in advance for any input you can give.
    I get a bit of road noise with my khumo A/T's and lots with my M/T's so a certain amount of noise is to be expected,if you have a fellow surfer near you with normal road tyre on ask him nicely if you can swap wheels and go for a drive,(its cheaper than buying a new set of tyres)if the noise stops then its tyre rumble,but judging by your discription it is road noise.You could try jacking it up and spinning each wheel listening for any dry sounds (but thats not very useful as any moving part makes some sort of noise at low speed)
    then wiggle the wheels (top & botom and left to right) for any excess movment.Also check the diff oil levels,if your still not happy then call Dr grinder (TonyN),he is a genius.
    If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
      ,if your still not happy then call Dr grinder (TonyN),he is a genius.
      :embarressed:

Most steady rumbling noises turn out to be tyres, try pulling the handbrake on gently as you going along, this will support the rear axle and if the rear bearings are shot you should hear a change in the noise the bearings are making.

Pushing the foot brake works the same way to test the front bearings.

My moneys on the tyres.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        My moneys on the tyres.
        That would explain the 'clinking' noise then!

Comment

Hi I have 31" Runway Enduro A/T tyres all round and you do get a rumble type noise at about those speeds. With my old worn A/T (and smaller) there was no road noise. Hope this helps John

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

Sumo - I have checked for free play, as you described, on all four wheels but no excess play is evident,

TonyN - I'll try the handbrake and footbrake tests next time I use the Surf and report back.

John McC - Although I described the noise as a 'rumble' it might be more accurately described as a 'drone'. Do your tyres make this type of noise?
            Brian

Comment

My colwat AT's make a noise too
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

John McC - Although I described the noise as a 'rumble' it might be more accurately described as a 'drone'. Do your tyres make this type of noise?
                ___

had a similar problem !!! sorted now , wifes not allowed in surf _______________
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Wouldn't worry too much. If it starts getting worse, you know somethings
                  wearing. If not, wouldn't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                    My colwat AT's make a noise too

hehehe!! Colwats!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      hehehe!! Colwats!
                      Deliberate mistake to see how long and who would spot it

Comment

Deliberate mistake to see how long and who would spot it

Oh, really??
                        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...hlight=colwats

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

now your just being picky see how long it took you to find that one

Comment

now your just being picky see how long it took you to find that one

I was trying to make you sweat a bit.

Comment

"John McC - Although I described the noise as a 'rumble' it might be more accurately described as a 'drone'. Do your tyres make this type of noise?"

Yep that sounds like it, it will change on different road surfaces as well. Try driving around a bit and you should hear the difference ie tarmac or concrete
                              roads. When I'm on a motorway and the surface changes so does the drone.

Comment

Working...
                              X