Need a new thermostat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new thermostat??

How can I tell if thermostat is knackered.

Have just had a new radiator and rad cap fitted, still bleeding a bit of air out now and then ( am aware that they are a bugger for air locks)

Tried again today: heaters on hot, undone rad cap, not a lot of coolant under it. So started engine , topped up coolant little by little.
    Just as operating temp is reached coolant is steaming a bit (assuming this is normal?) I put on rad cap and I am sure I noticed a little steam around thermostat housing.
    Feeling a bit paranoid about it all, having already forked out for a new head this year already.

Would appreciate any input/help!

Darren

My advice is don't mess about testing the thermostat, for what they cost put a new one in then you know its right
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

If you click on the forum jump link then you scroll down to the maintenance & repair section there is some information on "burping" the cooling system, which might help you get rid of all those air bubbles.

Comment

You can "test" it by putting it in to a pan of water and heat it up
        on the cooker,you should see it open when hot.
        The only problem there is that you won't know what the temp is ?

As Gary says for the small cost put a new one in and keep the old
        one as a spare?

Good luck m8ty Poppy
        GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Thanks all, phoning Barry as I write this...more money!

Have already got the burping procedure copyed to hard drive, will have a go when got a bit more time.

Thanks again.
          Darren

Comment

Working...
          X