X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattF
    Only got the generic model numbers off them for the moment. Nearly broke
    a limb trying to get close enough to read the fronts. (As you can probably
    tell, storage space is becoming something of a problem. )

1 x Back-UPS 650
    2 x Back-UPS Pro 650
    1 x Smart-UPS 1000
    1 x Smart-UPS 1400

There may be a couple more 650's knocking about somewhere. Can vaguely remember stashing some more somewhere.
    I take it the number after the model is the wattage rating? If anyone is gonna run a 1400w inverter from a car battery (and draw that much current from it) - make sure you leave the engine running!!!

Good idea to build some inverters from 'em. I have a piddly old 300w one, just for RC equipment / telly / lights / charging the kids DS etc when camping. Might get a bigger one and plumb it in permanently one of these days...

Add to list of 327 jobs to do...
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      I take it the number after the model is the wattage rating?
      Generally. They do tend to get creative on occasion however, I've noticed.

If anyone is gonna run a 1400w inverter from a car battery (and draw that much current from it) - make sure you leave the engine running!!!

Good idea to build some inverters from 'em. I have a piddly old 300w one, just for RC equipment / telly / lights / charging the kids DS etc when camping. Might get a bigger one and plumb it in permanently one of these days...

Add to list of 327 jobs to do...
      Beauty of the U.P.S's, (proper punctuation to deter the courier jokes...., again),
      , is that, (apart from the weight), with them being transformer based, they
      are also giving a truer sinewave output than the general stepped sine you get
      from a lot of inverters these days. There are a few bits of kit that refuse to work
      with the standard inverters for that reason. (Strange but true).

Comment

Generally. They do tend to get creative on occasion however, I've noticed.

Beauty of the U.P.S's, (proper punctuation to deter the courier jokes...., again),
        , is that, (apart from the weight), with them being transformer based, they
        are also giving a truer sinewave output than the general stepped sine you get
        from a lot of inverters these days. There are a few bits of kit that refuse to work
        with the standard inverters for that reason. (Strange but true).

ooh, ooh, in that case, can I have a 1000 rated one?
        I'm building a freezer box from our old refrigerator to use when camping (mainly to re-freeze the ice blocks)

Comment

You can have them all if you want Vince. Is anybody around here due to
          be going to one of the mud meets/social events that can grab 'em and pass
          them on?

Comment

Are there any left????

i would be interested in a couple, was looking into ups as we get power cuts @ home.. and need summat to run the pc and router so can still be on call......

let me know... also how much for postage...

or i could come get em.... u only in barnsley,. be nice to meet ya./.........

1 x Back-UPS 650
            2 x Back-UPS Pro 650
            1 x Smart-UPS 1400

Any of these ( or the 2x pro 650)

Stu
            Last edited by amethyst; 17 August 2006, 07:44.
            http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Yup, they are. Only Vince has collared one so far. Just posting this quickie
              to let you know. Will PM my address later. Just going out in a minute. M.O.T
              day for the Surf.

Comment

day for the Surf.

Sending good mot vibes to the surf

wicked m8.... and good luck... i go away on sat for a week (again) up to the lakes... so any eve would be wicked...

Cheers

Stu

Comment

day for the Surf.
                  I might take one off you if there are any left. I have a couple of batteries at home for an APC UPS, I just can't remember which model they are out of at the moment. I'll check when I get home.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

Just got back. Failed on the n/s outer track rod end, so not a biggie.
                    How do you go about fitting those things? I assume it's the balljoint type
                    arm on the threaded sleeve?

There are still a couple up for grabs. The wife thinks she knows where
                    my other stash is as well, so there may be another couple or so

Comment

just give the threads a bloomin good oiling first as i ended up doing my outers aswell as the inners cause i could'nt get the adjuster free
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yup.

let me know the postage costs Matt, and I'll paypal you......hopefully!

Comment

are they just not a bar with 2 bolts and some rubber bits? not had to look @ my surf ones yet.... (i aint no mechy) lol

lookin at a pic though it just looks like 2 bolts / screw threads

Stu

Comment

I'll take one of the biggest ones you got please mate. Again let me know P&P and i'll paypal you.

Cheers

Dan
                            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

The wife's gonna kill me. I'm supposed to be doing the books. She's (she thinks),
                              banned me from anything Surf related until they're done.

Anyhows, just dug these units out to find out exactly what they are. Ratings are
                              VA rather than watts, and the 1000/1400 use the batteries in series for a 24V
                              supply, so for car use would require some creative wiring. Apologies for
                              not checking earlier. (I'll go and stand in the corner now).

Anyhows, VA to wattage ratings roughly, give or take a few percent:

650VA output is approx 240V 400W
                              1000VA output is approx 240V 670W
                              1400VA output is approx 240V 950W

There are 5 of the 650's, one of them is missing the bottom battery retaining
                              plate. The 650's all work off 12V DC. There is also one IBM 700VA unit that
                              runs off 12V DC also. Output on that one is output rated at 425W.

Comment

I've just found a circuit on the net that will supply 24VDC form a 12VDC supply at 1 to 2 watts. (let me know if you want the circuit diagram)

Now even tho I did basic electronics at college I cant work out if this is enough power to supply the units.

I dont think it is somehow. If they need 2 x7aH batteries then thats 14 aH so what is the wattage?

Any ideas?
                                I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Working...
                                X