Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo timer

New to surfing and forums.

I've been waiting for my freshly imported Surf to be MOTed, registered, UK modified etc. Been driving my gilfriend mad with all the facts and fiquires learned from this amazing site. All the questions I had and most I could imagine have been answered exept 1. somewhere on this huge site someone mentioned having to remove the turbo timer due to it being illegal to have the
    engine running without someone in the car. Is this true and if so what about the turbo?

My Surf's allover Dark Met. Blue & Chrome, Beautiful!
    Last edited by Long way 'round; 15 August 2006, 00:10.

Hi, and welcome. A tubo timer isn't connected to the turbo, it's wired to the ignition to keep the engine running after switching off, for a pre-set time to allow the turbo to wind down after motorway driving. It's not good to suddenly switch off the engine after a good thrashing as the turbo needs to cool down a bit first and keep the oil circulating around it.
    With normal town driving, the turbo doesn't get that hot so you can switch the engine off straight away.

Comment

Cheers

Cheers Vince

Comment

Welcome to the mad house.
        A respray shouldnt cost too much
        Simon.O.
        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Don't go there, the guy aint even got his truck yet!

Comment

I don think it is ilegal to have a turbo timer or to use a turbo timer, but it is ilegal to leave your vehicle running while you are not in control, i.e sat in drivers seat. also i think some insurance companys dont like them either. but then again insurance companys seem to make things up as they go along.
            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Another problem is that your insurance company may well want a CAT1 alarm fitted and turbo timers can cause some major complications for the alarm fitter.
              I had mine removed for that reason.
              Oh and welcome to the madhouse
              Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Hi I SVA'd my own surf from import and you certainly have to remove the turbo timer (if you test in manchester). It's down to the fact as I understand it you can not legally take you key out of the car lock it and leave the engine running .

I havent put mine back on either. Curious to know if anyone has one in daily use

Comment

Originally posted by fergus
                  Hi I SVA'd my own surf from import and you certainly have to remove the turbo timer (if you test in manchester). It's down to the fact as I understand it you can not legally take you key out of the car lock it and leave the engine running .

I havent put mine back on either. Curious to know if anyone has one in daily use
                  The turbo timer in my surf works OK. never had to take it out or disconnect it for the Test. Turbo timers are not illegal. What is illegal is leaving the vehicle unattended whilst the engine is running wether the key is in or out is irrelavent. I just leave mine switched off and sometimes use it (on private property of course) for the novelty value. It is a Greddy and has not as yet caused any problems with the immobiliser or anything else.
                  Trust your Hound.

Comment

use mine every time its used passed mot fine last year. sometimes get people telling me its still running i just tell what it is.
                    Working at last.......

Comment

The best turbo timer is sitting there for a while before turning the engine off.
                      Safe, as well.

Comment

Yes - have one, Yes - use it after long runs on motorway etc. No - no issues with my insurers.

Also gets you some wicked looks as you lock the car and walk away (obviously not on public highways cos that would be illegal )
                        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Hello,

Mine is still connected, truck purchased 3 1/2 years ago so been through SVA and three MOT's.

Rarely use mine as I live a few miles off the motorway, so things have usually cooled down by the time I'm stopping. If I've been towing the horses around, I just leave the engine running whilst we're getting them on or off the box, as MattF suggests.

Mind you, as Linda says, it is good for the occasional pose (can't help it sometimes).
                          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
                          X