Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lpg ?

Hello all,

Lots of advice on here regarding veg oil but can't find much on LPG conversions.
    Is there such a thing as a diesel / LPG conversion, and has anyone on here had their 3.0lt done?
    I currently put about £60 a week in and figure it will take about 18mths to get my money back, assuming around £2000 if the installation is the same as the petrol ones.
    Advise and comments would be welcome.
    Cheers

Yes and no.

There are a few threads on here about using LPG in a diesel engine, but don't expect your fuel bill to go down!

It's not used as an alternative to diesel, it's used in addition to it.

You end up wth more power, a more responsive throttle, but two tanks to fill with fuel....
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by The Pope
      Is there such a thing as a diesel / LPG conversion, and has anyone on here had their 3.0lt done?
      Hello,

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a diesel / LPG conversion.

Petrol/LPG as you do need spark plugs.

If you want to save money you have to go down the veggie oil route.

Regards
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Here's a thread talking about LPG in a diesel, and there's a link in that thread to another, very informative thread...
        It just does, OK?

Comment

You can but....

Originally posted by The Pope
          Hello all,

Lots of advice on here regarding veg oil but can't find much on LPG conversions.
          I currently put about £60 a week in and figure it will take about 18mths to get my money back, assuming around £2000 if the installation is the same as the petrol ones.
          Advise and comments would be welcome.
          Cheers
          You can convert a diesel to run on LPG as well.

The difference between a petrol/LPG and a diesel/LPG set up is that in the petrol engine you run the car on an LPG & air mix (i.e. the LPG is your main fuel).

However, in a diesel engine, the diesel remains the main fuel, and the LPG aids combustion, giving a more efficient burn of all the diesel in the cylinder. This will translat into more MPG of diesel.

But beware, because you are still injecting diesel into the cylinder, as well as LPG, the overall cost saving is not as great as seen in a petrol engine (running purely on LPG @ 50p litre), so may take you a lot longer to recoup your initial outlay.

I have seen figures giving the increase in burn efficiency somewhere, but cannot remember exactly. It was along the lines of a standard diesel engine burns 80% of it's fuel, but more like 100% in the case of LPG+Diesel engine.

This is a 25% increase in efficiency (i.e if 20% of fuel goes down the exhaust pipe, that would be 25% of the fuel you actually do burn), but wouldn't equate to a fuel saving of 25% because you have to then include the cost of the LPG, and I've no idea the ratio of LPG to Diesel!

Hope this helps, and I'm sure somebody can add to this!
          Last edited by Big Jonah; 14 August 2006, 21:31.
          I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
            Here's a thread talking about LPG in a diesel, and there's a link in that thread to another, very informative thread...
            Well,well, and $$$$$$ hell.

You learn something every day.

Now even more things to do to the truck.
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Lpg

Thanks for your time in replying folks, some good threads here.
              Looks like I'll be down to the cash & carry for the veg oil though!
              Thanks again.

Comment

have a look here http://www.mrsharkey.com/lpg.htm
                even though it`s claimed to give better mpg from what i`ve read people just use the extra prerformance and it ends up costing more.
                what about water injection? or a intercooler instead?
                Ray

Comment

and diy water injection here http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html

Comment

My biggest worry with LPG, is that you are effectively strapping a few tens of litres of highly explosive liquified gas with a flame speed of 270 feet per second underneath a vehicle which when used in anger is likely to bottom out.

Ok petrol goes bang, but it takes a hell of a lot more encouraging than LPG!

All the best,
                    Gtdog
                    Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Now thats not a problem,
                      You just have to raise the car a wee bit say 4"
                      This is how I have managed to sell getting a lift done to the wife!!!!!!
                      Oh and I will then need bigger wheels too

Comment

Originally posted by Gtdog
                        My biggest worry with LPG, is that you are effectively strapping a few tens of litres of highly explosive liquified gas with a flame speed of 270 feet per second underneath a vehicle which when used in anger is likely to bottom out.

Ok petrol goes bang, but it takes a hell of a lot more encouraging than LPG!

All the best,
                        Gtdog
                        I'm not too worried; the LPG tank sits well out of the way and is that strong I think it would punch a hole in the floor before it would rupture. If you're considering building your own water injection system don't even consider adding the water before the turbo even if you vapurise it -it will eat the impelor - maybe not over a few 1/4 mile drags but definatly with regular use. You also realy need a pump that will give about 60psi with the nozzle you'r using to ensure you get proper atomisation - big drops of water won't help cooling or your engine. Finaly you will realy need a seperate water tank I can drain a 1 gallon tank in less than 12mins if I forget to turn it off on the motorway.

Comment

Working...
                        X