Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Advice??????

Hi

I am really interested in buying my first surf and I would really appreciate any advice/tips - do's and don'ts, best models etc from the experts out there. I was thinking of going to an importer - anyone got the details of someone I could contact.

Thanks

Go for a 3.0TD if cash allows, 93-95, up to 95 Surfs/4Runners are more 'truck'. 96-on are more 'SUV' but are roughly the same offroad performance. 96-on gets you 2WD-AWD-4WD where as 89-95 are 2WD-4WD only.

More money gets you a Intercooled 3.0TD.

Cheaper options are 89-93 2.4TD trucks which are a good deal if you can live with the head issues (solved if an uprated head has been fitted) and a little less power.

Spec levels are very vague, SSR, SSR-V, SSR-X and SSR-G with 'Limited' options on them all are the order I think, but there is very little difference apart from G's are usually have Recaro seats.

If your not worried about fuel bills up to 95 truck can have a 3.0 V6 petrol motor which is smooth, and 96 on (3rd gens) are 3.4 V6 which is supposed to be even nicer but with better economy than the ealier 3.0 V6. More sensible is a 2.7 I4 petrol motor on newer trucks but not driven one of read much about them.

(84-88 is 1st gen, 89-95 is 2nd gen, 96 to 2000/1 is 3rd gen and current models are 4th generation if you get a little lost)
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks

Thanks man

What sort of price range am I looking at for a good Intercooled 3.0TD. Know any good places to look - dealers/private etc. I have found a website for Algys Autos. Ever heard/dealt with them?

Comment

Bought mine from Algy's, no problems with them. Always helpful on the phone and by email, even with stupid questions!
        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Have a read around Codlords site aswell
          http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/
          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

how much money you got? You could buy mine.....

Comment

Originally posted by peterd1
              I was thinking of going to an importer - anyone got the details of someone I could contact.

Thanks
              All of what TonyN says, plus........

Biggest import auction in the UK is at Southampton docks. http://www.a1carauctions.co.uk/

Imported surfs sell from about £2500 up. Forecourt prices £5000 up. Personal ads on the interweb £2000 up. The choice is yours.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Thanks`

Thanks for all the help

Comment

try this one
                  in the auction part

Comment

Sure you don't wanna make that pic any bigger!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                    X