Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problem

My truck has shown a chink in it's armour.

Yesterday I started the truck and went into town. Left it for half an hour, came back, put key in ignition, turned key and nothing just a click. Turned ignition off then back on and she fired right up. I didn't touch the gear lever, which was in park, and thought it might have been a one off.

This morning got into truck, put key in ignition, turned key nothing, just a click. Again, didn't touch gear lever, turned off then back on and she fired right up again. After this I have started and stopped truck half a dozen times with no problems.

The way I see it there is two causes. Either the switch that detects the gear lever in park is playing up and that's why it's not starting. But if this was the case, shouldn't it continue to click until I fiddle with the gear lever??? The other cause is the started motor or starter Soliniod. As the click seems to be coming from the engine bay, I think it's more likely to be the starter solinoid.

Can any of you give me some ideas please??? Have you had the same problem in the past?? This has only happened twice, the first occasion happening yesterday.

Where is the switch for the gear lever located that tells it's in park?

As you know it's a 2nd gen 3.0lt Auto.

Thanks

Andy.
    Last edited by M35A2; 11 August 2006, 15:39.

It may be the ususal worn starter motor contacts .Stip out the starter and fit a new set of contacts .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
      My truck has shown a chink in it's armour.

Yesterday I started the truck and went into town. Left it for half an hour, came back, put key in ignition, turned key and nothing just a click. Turned ignition off then back on and she fired right up. I didn't touch the gear lever, which was in park, and thought it might have been a one off.

This morning got into truck, put key in ignition, turned key nothing, just a click. Again, didn't touch gear leaver, turned off then back on and she fired right up again. After this I have started and stopped truck half a dozen times with no problems.

The way I see it there is two causes. Either the switch that detects the gear lever in park is playing up and that's why it's not starting. But if this was the case, shouldn't it continue to click until I fiddle with the gear lever??? The other cause is the started motor or starter Soliniod. As the click seems to be coming from the engine bay, I think it's more likely to be the starter solinoid.

Can any of you give me some ideas please??? Have you had the same problem in the past?? This has only happened twice, the first occasion happening yesterday.

Where is the switch for the gear lever located that tells it's in park?

As you know it's a 2nd gen 3.0lt Auto.

Thanks

Andy.
      Sounds like the starter, buy a starter kit from Roughtrax and fit it. Two contacts and the selenoid (plunger).

Or just get the kit and leave it till it dont work at all then fit it. Thats what ive done as the motors a pig to get in and out
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

Just called my mate who is the parts guru at Inchcape Toyota at Kidlington and spoke to him. He reckons it's starter contacts. So have ordered the started kit from him and some of those clip things that hold the rubber flap things that are attatched to inner wheel arch that stop the $$$$ getting into the engine bay incase they break when removing them.

Total cost inc vat £36.41. So will pick them up Wednesday and fit straight away. Can't afford for my truck to start playing up. Hopefuly new contacts will make the starter quieter. It's really noisy at the mo.

Comment

Just called my mate. He reckons it's starter contacts.
          Hello,

Check your batteries!

Two years ago one of mine went (without me knowing). It then overloaded the one that was left. The imported batteries were already on their way out.

Whilst this was happening, all manner of things were 'going wrong' with the truck, especially really wierd starter happenings. There was no pattern to it. Crusty old diesel mechanic came to the house, and sussed it in about 10 seconds. I felt suitably dorkish.

Just a thought.

Regards
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Just called my mate who is the parts guru at Inchcape Toyota at Kidlington and spoke to him. He reckons it's starter contacts. So have ordered the started kit from him and some of those clip things that hold the rubber flap things that are attatched to inner wheel arch that stop the $$$$ getting into the engine bay incase they break when removing them.

Total cost inc vat £36.41. So will pick them up Wednesday and fit straight away. Can't afford for my truck to start playing up. Hopefuly new contacts will make the starter quieter. It's really noisy at the mo.
            Dont forget to let us know how you get on any tips will come in usefull for us who have yet to do it
            Trust your Hound.

Comment

I had that with a range rover classic... it was a microswitch on the gear box inhibiting the starter motor... good luck

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Hello again.

Have already checked the batteries. They are both on same voltage and are in good nick. It's definitely the starter contacts. It started ok this morning, and again this afternoon. So it must just be on it's way out.

I will let you know how I get on when I do the job.

Comment

I stripped mine down and used emry paper to clean the minging terminals and then wd40 the lot, put it back in, hey presto good as new
                  What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Working...
                  X