Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads

Okay guys, just discovered this forum! Hopefully should prove to be a good source for advice.
    I have a 1992 2.4TD SSRX Auto. Absolutely $$$$$$ brilliant car, have had no issues with it apart from general stuff like tyres/lights/exhaust.

But now reading on here there appear to be lots of threads about 2.4 and head gasket problems ... can anyone enlighten me ...

Should I be worried about mine? Its on 122K at the moment. How much does it cost to do the head and are there any warning signs I should look out for?

It has been on my mind to upgrade to a 3.0 newer model over the next 12-18 months do you think I should bring this forward seeing as the car is showing no problems at the moment?

There is a problem with SOME 2.4s, it does not hit all of them - keep your coolant at it's proper levels, don't cook the engine, and you should be ok.

I gather you will be seeing TonyN, he can advise you more as to the cost - he offers a head replacement service.

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Thankies,

Will definitely be getting in touch with TonyN when it's next due a service.

Just had one and it was such a drama for a regular garage to get hold of the correct exhaust parts ... in the end I sourced one myself for them !
      Would recommend a place called Milners 4x4, they seemed to know what they were doing when supplying import parts!
      Last edited by spud1978; 11 August 2006, 14:46.

Comment

Hi matey!

It's the cylinder heads that 'let go' rather than the gaskets, but as Trev says, it doesn't happen to all of them, it's just that you only hear about the ones that have.

Try hear for spares and accessories too......

http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=11&cid=127

Comment

Welcome Spud,

You should, as a precaution, properly flush the cooling system, fill it with the correct antifreeze/coolant (making sure you get rid of any airlocks), get a new rad cap, thoroughly check all the cooling system hoses (they're old), and make sure both interior heaters are working.

Keep a close eye on things until your happy (a wandering temp guage is a classic OH MY GOD sign).

And enjoy the love affair you're about to have.

You'll find this forum to be the font of all knowledge, and the odd smattering of the other stuff.
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Hi spud welcome to the mad house hope you enjoy it here and the surf
            and if you want to meet some more mad buggars then come and join us at the run to the sun in september (Just thought i would get a quick plug in there) see thread.
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
              You should, as a precaution, properly flush the cooling system, fill it with the correct antifreeze/coolant (making sure you get rid of any airlocks), get a new rad cap, thoroughly check all the cooling system hoses (they're old), and make sure both interior heaters are working.
              And thermostat.

Wouldn't spend time worrying about whether the head may go. Just do as
              mentioned above, and then you have taken all sensible precautions. End
              of the day, if it is going to go, it's going to go. Worrying won't do anything
              but make you paranoid about watching the temp gauge. (This advice coming
              from the person who now has three. Why does the word hypocrite spring
              to mind? )

Honestly, just do the cooling system and then relax. Welcome to the loonybin,
              BTW.

Comment

Working...
              X