Steering 'funny'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering 'funny'

I noticed today whilst sitting in the truck waiting for the kids to tire themselves out in the park that when the engine is stopped, I have a small amount of play in the steering wheel. (Around half to 3/4")

It's not the idler - I changed that recently, and when I take a look underneath, nothing is moving when I got Vicki to move the steering.

However, when I start the engine, there is no play, and merely that 'springiness' that results from biggish MT tyres.

Anyone care to explain? (and tell me if it's serious or not?)
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Same here.
      I figured it may be normal-ish. It would only really be an issue if it happened when the power steering pump was running. Before I changed my idler, it was like the steering wheel was connected to the wheels via elastic bands - rather like a Peugeot 205 gearbox actually!

Comment

surely that's just a symptom of the power steering? engine off = no power = steering funny. engine on = power = responsiveness.

no?
        I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

No.

I haven't noticed this free play with any other power steering cars I've had, which then disappears when the power steering is operational. Mind you, the Surf steering seems to work in a different way to all the other cars I've had.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to have caused any screams of alarm from anyone.

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggg gggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

ALARM ALARM ALARM!
            I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Working...
            X