Major Surf Problem - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Surf Problem - advice needed

Right. I was driving along the motorway today doing my usual 60-80mph. All going very nicely.

Next thing I know, my windscreen is covered in brown fluid and the surf is blowing white smoke from under the bonnet like no man's business. As I'm pulling on to hard shoulder, I glance at temperature gauge which has nearly reached the red (never usually goes above half way). Horrible burning type smell coming too.

Any ideas what it could be? Is it major?

Whilst I was pulled over, traffic officers came round. By this time the engine had cooled a little bit (15mins). Officers suggested I try turn the engine on again which I did and temperature gauge seemed to be okay. So they said I should carry on driving as I only had about 20 miles to go. I carried on but after about 15 miles when I came off the motorway, when I eased off the gas near the roundabout, the engine cut out.
    Same horrible smell and smoke.

Called out recovery guy. Mechanic from AA said looks like engine is knackered. There was oil leaking underneath and he said there was ticking sound coming from engine which signifies the death of the engine. I don't trust the recovery guy's opinions though (last time they told me my starter motor had gone but when I took it to mechanic, it was just a dodgy connection at battery terminal).

Anyways, has anyone else suffered similar problems? What could it potentially be and what kind of work/price am I looking at?

The other thing is that I filled up the oil and water recently. The water level was very high when I opened the bonnet up on the hard shoulder. It was over half full. Also, I thought the oil was also low couple of days ago and put another litre in. Could it be anything to do with this? Also had air con done recently with new valves put in.

Many thanks for help in advance. Also, where is best place to get parts for the engine? Previous posts seem to recommend stevo.

Thanks again.

I forgot to say that since I've had the aircon done, there's always a little bit of fluid dropping from the passenger side under the bonnet. I assumed it was water dripping from the air con but not so sure now.

Could my problem be a blown head? Where do I go from here>?

Comment

have you looked at the engine? can you see where this fluid as come from?

when the engine is cold check all your fluid levels!!

it does sound like antifreeze!

before thinking that the head gasket has gone check all your hoses and rad for any leaks..

but it may be worth getting a pressure test done anyway just incase the dreaded h*** as cracked.....
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the fluid. Any other thoughts guys?

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu
          The water level was very high when I opened the bonnet up on the hard shoulder. It was over half full.
          Hello,

When you say half full, are you referring to the overflow bottle????

You need to be checking, with a cold engine, the water level under the rad cap. See pic.

As stated, check all hoses - you are driving a 15 year old car so things will start to perish.

However, if you didn't put water in when you were on the hard shoulder, the next 15 miles would not have helped, that's for sure.

Prepare for the worst, pray for the best...............
          Attached Files
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Does the water need to be full under that cap then? When I filled the water up a copule days ago, I put it into the bottle with the cap.

Comment

I know the cops main priority is to get people off the hard shoulder but what a couple of knobs. I hate to say it but the highway agency guys have more of an idea. At least they carry water in their trucks!

Hopefully it was caused by an air lock. Turn the heater(s) to hottest setting. Fill up with water where the Boyo suggested until you can get no more in. Start the engine and keep adding water, occasionally revving the engine slightly. When the thermostat opens the level will drop suddenly. Add more water and top up water bottle to the min mark. Take the motor for a spin and let it cool down. Once cold repeat the above.

The water dripping from the LH side of the truck will be from the air con condenser.

Good luck. I just hope that the cops advice didn't shag your engine.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

An update on this.

My mechnic (also a good friend) came round today to check it out. He spotted straight away that the radiator has split and has told me to get a new one so he can replace it.

I also checked under the rad cap and there was no water there. I think the problem may have occured due to my neglect of the engine. I should have checked the water more regularly.

Do you think the problem should resolve once the radiator is replaced? Is there a chance that this may have caused the head to go as well? Also, are there any other things that I might as well replace/change at this stage?

Oh yeah, wheres the best place to get a radiator? I usually buy parts from roughtrax who are selling new ones for 165 quid. I'm thinking of getting it from there unless someone suggest otherwise.

Comment

Split in the rad, caused air to be drawn into the cooling system, which was low on coolant anyway.
                  The oil that was seen under the engine, may be from the rear of the valve cover on top of the engine, (they have been known to leak around there) when the engine over heated the oil probably boiled and weeped out.(the burning smell)

I would get a new radiator, thermostat, rad cap, an oil and filter change, and thoroughly 'burp' the cooling system. Everything crossed, you may have gotten away with it.
                  Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 14 August 2006, 16:52.

Comment

Working...
                  X