Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surf. HELP!!

Hello again all

Well I finally found one, but what do you guys think? Bit too expensive?

Details:

3.0 SSRX Limited
    Mreg, Gen2
    55k miles
    New split rim wheels with Bridgestome tyres
    Thatchman cat1 alarm and immob
    Bullbar with fogs
    Adjustable rear suspension
    New cam belt
    New break disks
    12 Months MOT and 6Months Tax
    12 Months Waranty (I think)

All the electircs work, test drive went fine all, checked out OK (thanks for the help bro (b16mts)). Car is in good nick interior lookied like it had only done 55k, and the underside was spotless.

The only bad bit I found was rust under the carpet on the drivers side in the boot seemed to be surface rust in paches near a large rubber gromit. Had alook underneath in the same place but there were no signs of corrosion there. Any ideas? Known water trap?

The car is from a dealer and is a fresh import.

Anyway all sounds good except the price. After haggling I could only get him down to £5300.

What do you think? Good buy or too much cash?

Thanks

Gilesone

I would have thought you could pick up a similar one, privately, for around £4,500. Obviously the road tax is worth a small amount extra. I bought a very similar September 1995 3.0L SSR-X a year ago, that needed new front CV boots, one CV joint and a new flywheel/clutch for £4,000.

Check the warranty, it is usual for smaller dealers to give no more than 3-6 months.

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by Panrixx; 3 August 2006, 13:32.
    Brian

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24530

How's that for an answer?

Comment

How about this one

I am quite close to you, am open to sensible offers (I will end the auction if needed)

My truck is in great condition and well worth a look if you are thinking of paying £5300 for £1000 less you can get an equally good one.

Mine is a 1995 M Reg (July 1995)

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25039
        "disinclined to acquiesce your proposition - NO"

Comment

Hi,

Just to help clarify for everyone.

My bro is taking his wife into hospital tonight so they can induce her into labour with their first child who is 10 days over due. They sold their second car 2 weeks ago, so for the first time in years they are down to one car. This means LUKE MUST BUY A CAR IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS!!

This will either be a surf, or a cheap (sub £1000) run around. Understandably he's not gonna have much time to be car hunting during the next 2 weeks with a new born boy.

I can confirm that the car above is a 1995 model, and from Luke's description it does sound in pretty good Nick, i tried to find things for him to haggle with, i really did, but i honestly couldn't!! surely that's a good thing isn't it? Also this garage does give a full 12 month parts and labour warranty.

the wheels are 16" split rims with 32" tyres (somehow they don't seem to rub, but mine do!).

obviously it'd be worth the extra money if it was a faster colour like burgundy!

Please guys, give him some help, i don't think he's gonna be able to look at many other surfs.

cheers,

Mart
          Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Hard to say

Speaking from a 'You don't have to buy my Surf perspective'

£5500 is quite expensive for a 2nd Gen 1995 Surf, saying that however lots of dealers up here in bristol are selling surfs exactly like mine for between £5000 and £5500. When I took mine to them they said they would only pay me £3500 fo it - That seems a big mark up but when discussing this with them they explained the fact it came with warranties and finance packages etc!

Personally I think £5500 is too much to pay for a 2nd Gen mine is in very good nick and I would take £4300 for it. If he wants to pay approx 1k over the odds for warranty peace of mind and/ or finance possibilities (and with a new baby on the way who blames him) then that is his choice

I know they are hard to find, and good ones even harder. From a dealer £5300 is probably a tad expensive but in the right ballpark - going private he could save a few bob but without the peace of mid of warranty

Cheers

Tom
            "disinclined to acquiesce your proposition - NO"

Comment

i think its expensive, but i think i paid over the odds,though i love my car so i aint fussed. I paid £3400 for mine and spent £250 on tyres. Its k-92 and had 90k on it. I think its should have been about £2700'ish? But prices vary massively around the country
              What comes around goes around!!

Comment

It's worth whatever makes you happy. If paying that price and knowing
                everything is covered for a year will take a load off your mind, it's worth
                every penny. If you want a lower initial outlay and plan to do or organise
                repairs yourself, it's a tad expensive. It totally depends upon the level of
                involvement you want, (or don't, as the case may be).

Comment

i paid 5k for mine in february with 3mths warranty .The main thing is as long as you are happy with it then go for it but just check what the warranty is covering tho
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers for input gentlemen.

tbh i think if he could get it for £5k, he would, as it does sound like a very nice example. but the garage doesn't want to move on the price. though it did only come onto the forecourt today.

please feel free to throw more opinions this way!

cheers guys,

Mart

PS. All has gone silent from my bro, think he's still hospital dropping the wife and bump off to see if they can start the process of getting it out!
                    Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

I would say £4800 is top money for a 2nd gen these days. Tell your bro to show them £4600 cash and I reckon they'll let it go. They probably only paid £3000 for it.

Comment

if it is the dawlish import centre then i would go for it i have mine for over twelve months now with no trouble at all mine was on the dear side but you have a dealer on your door step and good people to deal with let me know when you get it and we meet up for a pint and talk about the good points of owning a surf because i can not think of any bad points all i can say is GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
                        cherrs shaun
                        NO LONGER A SURFER NOW DRIVING A LEXUS

Comment

Working...
                        X