yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for you aviators out there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shab
    I was having a discussion with a mate the other day regarding helicopter speed, or rather their top speeds. I argued that the top speed would limited by the fact the rotor blade that was moving away from the direction of travel [if the blades were rotating clockwise as viewed from above this would be the righthand side] would eventually generate negative lift as the air passing over it would be faster than it's rotaional speed. At this point I supposed the aircraft would flip over.

Later, I thought about it and reckoned you could get around the problem by having two counter-rotating blades on the same prop shaft, but then I thought this would have been tried before if it was feasable.

Anyway, my question is, if indeed this is a problem, are there any ways to overcome it.

Hope I've explained what I'm on about...

Cheers,

Shab.
    HEY... Don't Bogart the joint
    I'd just worry about it stayin in the air mate, or how fast it's going when it lands
    xcuse mi spilling kan't phinda dictonnairy

Comment

BAC TSR2 XR220

Now residing at Cosford, XR220 is now kept inside, as part of the Museums 'Experimental Aircraft' collection. Seen here at the annual airshow in 2000, where it has been wheeled out into the open air.

http://www.bisbos.com/rocketscience/...r2gallery.html

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
        Why not build one of these - then problem sorted

Trev ps ever wished some cables would snap ?

I saw one of these flying the other week at RIAT. An awesome sight, they have been trying to stop it killing test pilots for the last 20 odd years. Obviously this does not suffer from retreating blade stall as it is conventional flight at speed.

On the subject of supersonic prop tips, the Boeing Steermans used by the utterly butterly wing walkers go supersonic with their props, if anyone doesn't believe me, go and see them and listen!

Incidently, was anyone else at RIAT, I would have a good bet that the Swiss Aerobatic team poured in a few too many beans as I swear their was a mini sonic boom on their final fast flypass.
        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
          I saw one of these flying the other week at RIAT. An awesome sight, they have been trying to stop it killing test pilots for the last 20 odd years. Obviously this does not suffer from retreating blade stall as it is conventional flight at speed.

On the subject of supersonic prop tips, the Boeing Steermans used by the utterly butterly wing walkers go supersonic with their props, if anyone doesn't believe me, go and see them and listen!

Incidently, was anyone else at RIAT, I would have a good bet that the Swiss Aerobatic team poured in a few too many beans as I swear their was a mini sonic boom on their final fast flypass.
          I had a corporate ticket for a trade day, but 'real' work got in the way.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by TJG

There was a aircraft like that flying in and out of boscombe down last week
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
            X