Biodiesel in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel in Scotland

Whow! Trying to find suppliers is a nightmare. The outlets for Rix all seem to provide the 5% bio/diesel and is as expensive as Diesel, which hardly seems worth the trouble to get greener. However I have found a small supplier in Lanarkshire where the 100% Biodiesel is 86p/litre and smells much better than diesel, the family now call my Surf the "Chip Wagon" (didn't take long!) but they don't contribute to my fuel bills. I travelled from North Ayrshire, which is an 80 mile round trip and, by my reckoning I still save £28 on the 323 Litres I bought. That should be my month's motoring sorted. I'll get back to you on consumption.

Fence Nursery
    Tillietudlum
    Lesmahagow
    Lanarkshire
    ML11 9PN
    tel: 01555 860370

Its a nightmare to find the first time, amongst the hills between Crossford (A72) & Blackwood (A74) near Craignethan Castle, use multimap. Family run firm, all very friendly.

why not just use veg oil?
    buy in bulk when you go shopping and pay customs their bit (if you're a good boy that is ) and you'll save on the travelling. it works just as well.
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

I've got this lazy thing going on

I tend to believe the science and don't want the long-chain esters gumming up the works. The Channel 4 thingy about biodiesel says "Pure vegetable oil used as biodiesel has a tendency to gum up injectors, so they might need overhauling more often. But apart from that, and the smell of frying from the exhaust pipe if you're running on biodiesel sourced from waste cooking oils, there are only advantages." AND if you happen to like the smell of chip fat ......

Maybe some day I'll move on to veggie oil but it is my only mode of road transport unless I fall back on the David Brown 950 or Fergie TEA20.

Comment

Any fuel has the possibility of gumming up the injectors. That's why the
        likes of Redex/Forte/Miller's/Wynn's/Comma/Blue Coral exist. In a lower
        ratio SVO/diesel blend, say 20 percent, the difference should be negligible.
        In a higher ratio blend, say 60 percent, a fuel heater would again make the
        difference almost imperceptible.

Comment

Working...
        X