Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v socket in the back

OK Guys n Gals, I am back!

Been busy working on my house, so no time to play!

Going camping and want a ciggy lighter (permanent-non ignition dependant) in the back somewhere

Is there power back there?

Do I have to run big cable all the way from engine bay? (if so, whats the best route?)

I have a standard towing bracket, is there summat in that I can tee into? ( or would that be only if I have the second socket)
    Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Originally posted by TimberSurf
    OK Guys n Gals, I am back!

Been busy working on my house, so no time to play!

Going camping and want a ciggy lighter (permanent-non ignition dependant) in the back somewhere

Is there power back there?

Do I have to run big cable all the way from engine bay? (if so, whats the best route?)

I have a standard towing bracket, is there summat in that I can tee into? ( or would that be only if I have the second socket)

You will need to run a fused positive cable direct from one of your batteries.
    Best way is to remove the strips that hold the carpet down and put it under them and when you get to the back you can just push the cable under the bottom of the side panels.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

I had one fitted for the same reason mines just to the left of rear heater controls power allready there to tap in to

Comment

use tow bar

Have you got a tow bar with dual sockets? if so tap in to the one for running the fridge/dual charging the van!! If not then a new cable is the best bet!
        THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

I'm not sure you will find permanent live back there, and besides, like Jotto says it is best to run a dedicated (fused) wire to one of your batteries. I did it under the carpets/sills too - really quite an easy job, just a few screws, the only tricky part is going through the grommet into the engine bay. I did it from the engine bay side to feed through to the passenger footwell.

See here:
          http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/wor...dow_switch.htm

Make sure you use reasonable amp wire/fuse dependent upon what you intend to connect to it.
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by crazybitch
            Have you got a tow bar with dual sockets? if so tap in to the one for running the fridge/dual charging the van!! If not then a new cable is the best bet!
            Nope only single!

Oh well. Will have to rip all the carpets up!

Thanks guys n gals
            Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Originally posted by crazybitch
              Fridge and charger pins should only be live with the engine running. There should be a perm live on the grey socket though for the 'van lights.
              Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberSurf
                Oh well. Will have to rip all the carpets up!
                nah... just need the kick plates off... the cables run through there with plenty of space to spare.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Do you have two batteries? My 2nd Gen 4Runner did but they were set up in parallel for HD starting. I had them separated and a Lucas split charge diode fitted so that they were now independant of each other.

The diode died somewhere south of Zimbabwe and so I fitted a manual switch instead. Doing all that ensures that one battery (for accessories) can be run flat without disturbing your starting battery.

From the acc. batt. I have connected three cables running to through the firewall into the cab. Woolston Garage did some nice in-line fuse holders and so I just wired them to the pos terminal and then ran wires to: 1. Hella 12v acc. socket on the colomn behind the gear stick. 2. Under the carpet and up to the back of the centre console between the two seats. 3. A long wire running all the way to the boot area that is waiting for another Hella socket.

The first is for my GPS, the second for a fridge and the third for any 12v power tools I may use. They all require permanent power so they have to run independantly of the ignition system that's why it is a good idea to separate your batteries. My roof mounted spots also run fdirect rom the acc. batt. as I kept fusing all the wiring when I tried to strip them into my headlights.

I very much like the guys idea about an internally mounted switch for the rear window as I have already fugged the external door switch and can only operate the window from the drivers centre console switch.
                  @africa4x4cafe
                  [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                  X