Surfstars update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfstars update

We managed to make it 900 miles to our first stop in Santander north spain. still only 1/3 of the total way. no over heating problems on journey down..........until today. after checking the water daily and every 200 ks we went for a 60k journey which ended in a steep mountain incline resulting in the temp gauge going through the roof, once I saw it move from centre I stopped but it kept going up and up even witht the fan running not to mention water $$$$ing out of the overflow. This is not good and after an hour I toped it up with h2o and made it to camp. The question is what would you do ?? Answers on the back of a postcard and none of the "I told you so" comments which I'm sure are justified.........and thanks to Tonyn for the breakdown/moral support telephone cover
    Last edited by surfstar; 1 August 2006, 19:54.
    Kite Surf

Originally posted by surfstar
    We managed to make it 900 miles to our first stop in Santander north spain. still only 1/3 of the total way. no over heating problems on journey down..........until today. after checking the water daily and every 200 ks we went for a 60k journey which ended in a steep mountain incline resulting in the temp gauge going through the roof, once I saw it move from centre I stopped but it kept going up and up even witht the fan running not to mention water $$$$ing out of the overflow. This is not good and after an hour I toped it up with h2o and made it to camp. The question is what would you do ?? Answers on the back of a postcard and none of the "I told you so" comments which I'm sure are justified.........and thanks to Tonyn for the breakdown/moral support telephone cover
    SOrry to hear this Chris - glad you've got good breakdown cover!
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii........... ...............turn back ????????
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

If you've got a socket set with you, loosen the bonnet hinge bolts on the bulkhead and raise the rear of the bonnet so it acts like a huge vent. This will help with airflow through the rad and get rid of some of the heat under the bonnet too.

Comment

Open up the sunroof, point the heater vents towards it and turn it right up. When my head had already shat itself having the heaters on full kept the water in the engine. It only flew out when I decided I was paranoid and turned them off. Still, it was about -5 there.

You could just take the bonnet off.....

Good luck anyway.

Comment

Hi Cris, Sorry to hear ya got a problem Buddy Could it be a short term thing ?
            Hope you get it sorted !!!!! Take care all O yer
            Jess
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Sorry to here about the mechanicl problems rearing its ugly head
              If it gets worst it would be best to be recovered to the nearest ferry port therefore less driving for the return journey .And if you arrive on the south coast it would be easier to get to tony's
              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Ok i have now taken off the front number plate as it was non standard and seemed to block a large section of the rad. Upon inspection of the rad i noticed alot of $$$$ mud etc which i must have missed before (thank you salisbury plain) this has now been cleared. and the bonnet has been raised at the back by an inch and i will now drive with the bonnet undone but on the catch, which also raises it about an inch.
                Overall i fancy my chances, i am by a ferry port which could take us straight to Portsmouth, then home.......but thats to easy, we leave for madrid on Sunday and im going all the way, hopefully
                Kite Surf

Comment

Good Luck
                  www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Ok i have now taken off the front number plate as it was non standard and seemed to block a large section of the rad. Upon inspection of the rad i noticed alot of $$$$ mud etc which i must have missed before (thank you salisbury plain) this has now been cleared. and the bonnet has been raised at the back by an inch and i will now drive with the bonnet undone but on the catch, which also raises it about an inch.
                    Overall i fancy my chances, i am by a ferry port which could take us straight to Portsmouth, then home.......but thats to easy, we leave for madrid on Sunday and im going all the way, hopefully
                    Would be best to just raise the back of the bonnet and leave the front latched properly. The ideal airflow through the engine bay is all through the rad and then a decent exit
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                    X