Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer question

I belong to another forum(rugby one)
    and we have a persstant idiot trouble is registration is lapse and all the mods get is an ip addresss ,question is can he be traced from this?
    ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Originally posted by The Duke
    I belong to another forum(rugby one)
    and we have a persstant idiot trouble is registration is lapse and all the mods get is an ip addresss ,question is can he be traced from this?
    We've got 4,000 persistent idiots on this one.....

Someone who knows what they are doing (not me) would be able to trace them on an IP address. And probably do all sorts of unpleasant things to their PC.

Comment

Cheers mate.
      Ok is that someone willing to help?
      ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Try feeding the IP address in here then drilling through the results - you should be able to find out who he connects with - in my case it arrived with a "Ripe" network, however once in their I gave it the IP adress again and got BT.

Hope it helps

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

RIPE is the Regional Internet Registry - essentially this lot monitor the allocation of IP address space that is allocated to ISPs.

This means that if you look up an IP address, it may have a RIPE identifier to show which ISP owns that block of addresses.

You can do a bunch of things for checking IPs - whois will get you some info, you can do NSLOOKUP too - there is also a free utility called Neotrace that will show you the route that the IP address takes from the user to a source address.

Having said that - if you can get the IP address of your idiot, then you can look it up on RIPE (www.ripe.net) to see which ISP he uses then contact them via their website, give them your website IP address, and ask to have that user blacklisted.

The difficulty with doing that is the way that IP addresses get allocated. Normally with dialup and broadband, the IP is dynamicaly allocated from a pool of addresses, which simply means you are unlikely to get the same one on consecutive connections - which makes black listing nearly impossible without black listing a whole address range from the ISP.

Bit lengthy, sorry - bit happy to provide help if you need more advice.
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

For just about every type of lookup you'll ever, (and never), need:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/

Or, if you have a *nix based system at all, all those utilities are basic system
            components.

Comment

Indeed the IP addresses are supposed to get dynamicaly allocated, however, some addresses will get refreshed the same as before, because lease times exceed the refresh intervals... some isp's are lazy... (although as has been said, mine is showing a 24hr lease) so might be a pointless task... The ISPs should also have a log of users access, which I believe they are required to produce nowadays to the powers that be should they be requested... so there will be an audit trail. All depends how much of an idiot he is being and if you can happen to get some unscrupulous data cached on his machine... isp is the best port of call, ''cos if one of their users is misbehaving... they are responsible.

Comment

Working...
              X