Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surf Owner In Need Of Advice

Hi

I am purchasing my first surf after years of trying to, I am getting a 2.4d 1992 model. I think I got a good deal, they are doing a full service, MOT, new radio/cd/mp3 player, fitting cat 1 alarm and immobiliser, 6 months warranty and a complete respray as it has a few scratchs on it for £2900. The surf has about 78000 on it and drives very well all the electrics etc work fine, I don't know do people think this is a reasonable price?
    I have a few questions I was hoping people could help me with:

1. I know about the head problems on these but have checked the recall lists and the chassis number doesn't seem to be in these, how common are the head problems(heard it was about 20%) and what coolants etc is it best to use to try and limit likelyhood of it happening?
    2. The air conditioning needs regassing, after contacting a mobile air con company they asked wether the gas and system had been converted as apparantly the old gas that may have been used is now illegal and has been since 1992. I am assuming the air con would have been regassed since it's purchase(it was registered in December 1992) and would have been converted, is there anyway of checking this before the guy comes to look at it, it is the differnce between £40 and £120 so would like to try and check.
    3. Does anyone know where to get a sunroof deflector from. I have tried Roughtrax but they don't stock, wondered if anyone knew an alternative.

I think that's all for now but I am sure I will have more soon as a Surf virgin!!
    And god said...........let there be surfs!

Originally posted by clutch
    Hi

I am purchasing my first surf after years of trying to, I am getting a 2.4d 1992 model. I think I got a good deal, they are doing a full service, MOT, new radio/cd/mp3 player, fitting cat 1 alarm and immobiliser, 6 months warranty and a complete respray as it has a few scratchs on it for £2900. The surf has about 78000 on it and drives very well all the electrics etc work fine, I don't know do people think this is a reasonable price?

1. I know about the head problems on these but have checked the recall lists and the chassis number doesn't seem to be in these, how common are the head problems(heard it was about 20%) and what coolants etc is it best to use to try and limit likelyhood of it happening?
    2. The air conditioning needs regassing, after contacting a mobile air con company they asked wether the gas and system had been converted as apparantly the old gas that may have been used is now illegal and has been since 1992. I am assuming the air con would have been regassed since it's purchase(it was registered in December 1992) and would have been converted, is there anyway of checking this before the guy comes to look at it, it is the differnce between £40 and £120 so would like to try and check.
    3. Does anyone know where to get a sunroof deflector from. I have tried Roughtrax but they don't stock, wondered if anyone knew an alternative.

I think that's all for now but I am sure I will have more soon as a Surf virgin!!
    Deal sounds OK.
    I dont think the head is anything to do with the recall. As far as I know the best way to ensure of no overheating/ head probs is to ensure the cooling system is working correctly by flushing the system, change Thermostat and refill with new coolant.
    The aircon if it has been upgraded to R134 should have a sticker somewhere saying so, the reason for the price difference is that if it has not already been converted the system will need new seals and fittings +gas. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum
    OH and the deflector I think is a Toyota part try putting a post in the wanted list
    Last edited by Taliesins; 1 August 2006, 09:01.
    Trust your Hound.

Comment

Here's where mine came from

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Thats for the advice. I did find a site that had a recall over the head gasket and cracking, I have spoken to Toyota in the UK who are checking with Toyota in Japan (they have been really helpful). Thanks for the advice on the deflector, the garage have said they will fit what ever I want before I pick it up free of charge, which seems good so I will get one over to them.

Comment

sorry - posted in wrong thread....
          Last edited by Linda; 1 August 2006, 11:32.
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Hi

My old Paj needed a re-gas and that had the old illegal gas in. They can put in stuff called "drop in gas" that is a mixture of the new stuff and something to keep the seal lubed, propane I think. A lot of engineers dont reccomend it as they say it eventually messes up the system but my view was I aint gonna keep it for more than 4 / 5 years and by then the car will be worthless so suck it and see. Mine was fine after 2 years when it got written off.
            Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

With the gas, I found a company that will check the system with the old gas to make sure the system as a whole works and will then change it over to the new r134 for a total of £70 quid, if they find it has been converted then they will just regas for the normal price. I think it might be the best option

Comment

Hello again, I said there would be more questions,

Does anyone know the best place in Brum to get window tintng, the tinting on the back passanger windows has come off leaving that bitty effect which I want to replace

Any suggestions would be good

Comment

hi mate

dont 4get the cambelt need change 100,000 get it done if u r going 4 it

Comment

Thanks for that but the garage have changed that already.

I am taking delivery of the surf on the 18th and am going down to cornwall the following weekend is there anything I need to do/check/take with me to ensure trouble free motoring while I'm down there. You see on one hand I am excited to be getting a good week long run in the surf and on the other I'm worried I'll get ten yards and break down(optomistic I know)

Any advice would be welcome, I'm new to al this, even down to things like what coolant do I use in them and stuff

Comment

Hello again, I said there would be more questions,

Does anyone know the best place in Brum to get window tintng, the tinting on the back passanger windows has come off leaving that bitty effect which I want to replace

Any suggestions would be good

Not Brum but it's on the way to Cornwall (ish)

http://www.tinttech.org/

If you mention my name he'll probably jack the price up by 20% !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                      X