Rant No 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant No 3

I'm getting it out of my system tonight, This ones wheel nuts!! i got a set (20)
    off ebay and was expecting chrome long ones, I got short ones and although they fit the thread they seem lost in the hole on the crag wheels also they are beveled with no washer on and look like they would just gring into the alloy and possibly split the metal if they were overtightened, My original nuts
    have a washer and an elongated bit that goes in the hole thus holding the wheel nice and secure, however they wont go in the holes on the crag wheels (slightly too big) Roughtrax and bronco etc only do the standard replacement with a washer or the bevelled ones (for steel wheels?) so im f**ked! I do have a set of long ones with duff chrome (belong to the wheels on parts for sale) and i've turned one down on a small lathe so ot goes through the hole and i can use a standard nut washer (comes off the nut with a few wacks) it look a bl00dy sight more secure than just a bevell and i ground off the duff chrome except the ends which are pretty good and can paint em red (match the center) One down 23 to go
    Why is nothing straight forward?
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

I wouldn't put taper nuts in wheels that need a shouldered nut, it'll just screw up the holes in the wheels and they'll come undone easy.

The trouble with alot of the Jap aftermarket wheels is you can't get any special nuts over here.

Cutting down you washers is probably the easiest option.

Try somewhere like Bronco 4x4, they stock lots odifferent wheels.

Toyota Steels wheels use tapered nuts, the Alloys use the shouldered nuts.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

When I changed wheels I got my nuts from Bronco too

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        I wouldn't put taper nuts in wheels that need a shouldered nut, it'll just screw up the holes in the wheels and they'll come undone easy.

The trouble with alot of the Jap aftermarket wheels is you can't get any special nuts over here.

Cutting down you washers is probably the easiest option.

Try somewhere like Bronco 4x4, they stock lots odifferent wheels.

Toyota Steels wheels use tapered nuts, the Alloys use the shouldered nuts.
        The washer fits perfectly in the crag wheels it's the part of the nut that goes through the washer and sort of "sleeves " the stud thats too big, Fits the standard surf wheel ok but too big for the crag! would mean either reeming the wheel of turning down the nut, the long nut i turned down works ok but i could really do with a standard nut washer with a smaller hole in it to give a better "sholder" on the reworked nut, I'll ge over it, just means many happy hours turning down 23 nuts and possibly washers as well, Thanks though
        Ian
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

i MAY have some... can't remember if i gave them to rob with the wheels though!... i'll check garage
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
          X