been to look at a cheap surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• been to look at a cheap surf

i was originally wanting a hilux pickup but today i looked at an h plater 2.4 surf. its got no tax and test, but it starts and drives fine, everything works and its clean enough, needs tlc. theres a couple of things that worry me on it. can anyone shed any light on them, firstly theres some lateral play in the front wheels if you get hold and pull them. its not alot, just enough to knock. secondly theres oil around the top of the engine it looks like a leaky rocker cover but im thinking it could be the head as i know thats an issue with these motors. however, its only 800 quid!! im very tempted as i have a place to work on it. i just dont want it to become a money pit. any suggestions / advice
    cheers people
    665 the neighbour of the beast

Welcome,

The oil on the rocker shouldn't be indicative of a head prob, that is where splits occur internally allowing water into the oil.

You might find that titghtening the bearings will cure the wheel wobble.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

sweet. i checked the oil and it wasnt contaminated. i think i might have a flutter on this truck then.

Comment

There was oil literally pi##ing out of the rocker cover gasket when I went
        to look at mine. Still bought it. The rocker cover gasket goes solid.
        Replace it and it should be fine.

Comment

whats the top speed on one of these babies btw and the box felt a touch jerky as it changed (its an auto) is this normal??

Comment

Originally posted by 227angrydonkeys
            whats the top speed on one of these babies btw and the box felt a touch jerky as it changed (its an auto) is this normal??
            The only thing you need to know about the top speed of a 2.4 Surf is that:

a) It has one
            b) It's more than 70

You don't buy a 2.4 if you are at all interested in speed.

Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

excellent. i just wanted to check that it wasnt unusually flat feeling. im coming to the surf from a nissan pulsar so it feels kinda slow. im quite happy to trundle for a while though. how easy is it to make them taller and therefore more manly?

Comment

excellent. i just wanted to check that it wasnt unusually flat feeling. im coming to the surf from a nissan pulsar so it feels kinda slow. im quite happy to trundle for a while though. how easy is it to make them taller and therefore more manly?
                very easy if yours has got a saggy arse then get either the 2" lift springs and some decent es3000 shocks and crank up the front torsion bars and get a 1" 1.5" or 2" body lift

or see Danno's thread for sring spacers and the body lift kit
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

well i think im gona buy it. the price seems almost too good to be true but its a divorce leftover and the guy wants rid.

Comment

well i think im gona buy it. the price seems almost too good to be true but its a divorce leftover and the guy wants rid.

if you do buy it dont forget to change all oils, coolant, belts and filters as you dont know how long they have been in it.
                    you can get all you need from here http://www.toyotahilux.com/

or here www.milneroffroad.com and dont 4get to post some pics

Comment

Plus new rad cap and thermostat.

Comment

well i just put a deposit on it ( a monetary deposit ) so its mine for 700. nice. i dont need it/ cant afford it but what the hell ,its all part of being a man.

Comment

well i just put a deposit on it ( a monetary deposit ) so its mine for 700. nice. i dont need it/ cant afford it but what the hell ,its all part of being a man.
                          and you only live once so enjoy it

Comment

i can get a ton plus a bit out of my 3rd gen intercooler, autobahns are great fun... but you would"nt wanna be doing it to much, mines a cruising machine, go to fast and how are people gonna see the smile on my face.....
                            the b****y dogs have been at it again

Comment

Working...
                            X