computer question - laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer question - laptop

Hoped some one could help me please. I have just walked into the world of laptops and wireless connections.... what I would like to know, at the moment I have a wireless plug in card to use my broadband. Is it possible to buy a mobile (like mobile phone type)card so you can use the internet anywhere without having to bother with the broadband whilst out and about?

Thanks

Originally posted by sparkyaj
    Hoped some one could help me please. I have just walked into the world of laptops and wireless connections.... what I would like to know, at the moment I have a wireless plug in card to use my broadband. Is it possible to buy a mobile (like mobile phone type)card so you can use the internet anywhere without having to bother with the broadband whilst out and about?

Thanks
    Yes Vodaphone do one, but it aint cheap

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

vodafone:
      http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...tent_Id=AZ_074

orange:
      http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h...small_business
      Last edited by Gizmo; 29 July 2006, 00:06.
      Gaz

Comment

A friend may still have a vodafone data card (unused), she was trying to sell it a while back coz she got it dirt cheap with a laptop package. so i told her to get it and stick it on ebay but i don't think she ever got round to it, lemme know if you're interested.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Don't forget there are lots of hot spots about and if your near a library its free access. Or if your about to upgrade your mobile then get a Nokia N80 which also has WiFi on it saves taking the laptop out and about. Using GPRS type cards can be as much as £3/Mb so very expensive, some of the hots spots charge about £10-15 per month no limits so much cheaper. Hope this helps

Comment

and if Tmobile forget to add the Web and walk on your contract then it costs lots of money!!!

then cos you refuse to pay, they put a £50 limit on the phone and it's useless!!

oh, and the original question!... just plug the phone into the laptop... it save having to take sim card out... all the phones have a data cable now and it will load a modem when you plug it in.

and if you go for a Nokia, then get them to re flash the software on to it... otherwise it runs so slow you can't even use it as a phone!!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Got your email sparky, will let you know as soon as i have spoken to her.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Spoke to her boyfriend earlier. She still has it, but he didn't know what she wanted for it.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Thanks, am still interested if its around. Purchased a t-mobile data card this week. Tried it out over the last two says and can't get a connection speed of more than 5KBPS! I could walk to the other e-mail server quicker!

SO, thumbs down for t-mobile. Orange are not selling a card at the moment as they are still working on the techn.

3G do a card though they can't give me any connection details.........

DOH, all I want is a internet connection.

Thanks

Comment

Okay, she's bein a bit slow with comin up with a price, i'll chase her again tomorrow. otherwise make an offer and she'll either say yes or no.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Oh, and if you are thinking of using a mobile as your modem... make sure its a 32-bit laptop... way too much pain with a 64-bit laptop... Although the datacard will work quite nicely... when it feels like it.

Comment

Someone else advocated the use of the plentiful hotspots, but there's also a lot of unsecured networks around that it's possible to use without being spotted. However, I'm obviously not advocating you do this, and I of course would never do such a thing as it might be a little bit illegal...
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

not so...

use VMWare workstation... Nat the network address... to the external... make up a MAC address... and off you go from within the vm session... catch something... blow the session away. start again...

no-one would know you were ever there...

PS. unsecured networks are asking for it... anyway

Comment

OK, Now you have totally lost me.HAHA

thanks anyway:-)

Originally posted by AndyLala
                            not so...

use VMWare workstation... Nat the network address... to the external... make up a MAC address... and off you go from within the vm session... catch something... blow the session away. start again...

no-one would know you were ever there...

PS. unsecured networks are asking for it... anyway

Comment

Working...
                            X