this could have cost big time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this could have cost big time

hi changed oil filter yesterday no prob . put back on ramp today for wheel change oil every where . filter p******* out but after washing 0f engne not on the seal but where the 3 parts of filter machined toghehter . watched after fitting yesterday no leak. took 40 miles of driving to show up.
    if i hadent bin changing to me off road wheels wouldent have seen it prob till to late. also this is my living could you imagine if this was a customers car .
    they generaly run till they stop can u imagine how much it would have cost me specaily as not my fault.
    I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
    (i also juggle dynamite)

Where did you get the filter from? I've just bought one from RoughTrax but haven't fitted it yet..
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I hope it is an isolated incident... The filter i got from roughtrax was fine

but recently i have been using a local supplier for filters

Edit sorry answering two posts at once
      Last edited by Woodzie; 28 July 2006, 21:43.
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

hm

well it was a big main supplier don,t wanna say who due to not wanting to cause probs for forum . as i said just a MAIN supplier not roughtrax etc
        I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
        (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
          well it was a big main supplier don,t wanna say who due to not wanting to cause probs for forum . as i said just a MAIN supplier not roughtrax etc
          To rephrase. what brand of filter was it? No harm in mentioning that.
          At the end of the day, some of us will probably use the same brand,
          so it would be nice to have a heads up so we can double check. May
          just have been a one off, but be preferable to not find out the hard
          way if it was a faulty batch or something.

Comment

I had a similar problem last time I did a service. My problem was that part of the old filter stayed on the threaded stem, stopping the new filter from doing all the way up. It felt hand tight but as soon as I started the engine the oil $$$$ed out everywhere.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              To rephrase. what brand of filter was it? No harm in mentioning that.
              At the end of the day, some of us will probably use the same brand,
              so it would be nice to have a heads up so we can double check. May
              just have been a one off, but be preferable to not find out the hard
              way if it was a faulty batch or something.
              well i belive fram do filters for racing cars etc
              I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
              (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

I serviced a LandRover a few months back, and the filter came apart around the seal.

Oil light came on as she parked up at work, talk about lucky!!

Local parts place just said I'd overtighten it! ****'s I've only ever done filters up one handed for that very reason for years!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  I serviced a LandRover a few months back, and the filter came apart around the seal.

Oil light came on as she parked up at work, talk about lucky!!

Local parts place just said I'd overtighten it! ****'s I've only ever done filters up one handed for that very reason for years!!

same reply i got b******* i,ve bin full time for over 20 years and part time as a kid i said i think i now how to tighten filters by now just shrugged be off
                  I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
                  (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Cheers. Must admit, I stopped using those a while ago as I've heard
                    various reports of them being somewhat iffy. Mahle filters are supposedly
                    robust and have good filtering properties. I tend to use the Unipart ones
                    for the Surf at the moment, (until I find the Mahle alternative), as they have
                    a larger volume than others I have tried. Not the cheapest, though.

As a side note, if anyone can find out from this link what the Mahle filter
                    for the Surf is, could you let me know. Cheers. (One drawback of not using
                    MS windows).

http://217.89.113.25:8080/toc/en/B23...view=VIndexJsp

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      Cheers. Must admit, I stopped using those a while ago as I've heard
                      various reports of them being somewhat iffy. Mahle filters are supposedly
                      robust and have good filtering properties. I tend to use the Unipart ones
                      for the Surf at the moment, (until I find the Mahle alternative), as they have
                      a larger volume than others I have tried. Not the cheapest, though.

As a side note, if anyone can find out from this link what the Mahle filter
                      for the Surf is, could you let me know. Cheers. (One drawback of not using
                      MS windows).

http://217.89.113.25:8080/toc/en/B23...view=VIndexJsp
                      Part Number 08461899

Hope that helped.

Trev
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                        Part Number 08461899

Hope that helped.

Trev
                        Thanks Trev. I can get upto the part where it shows the LN130, then
                        that bl**dy plugin bit kicks in. Could never get as far as the filter number.
                        Thanks once again.

Comment

Working...
                        X