using waste oil from a chippy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using waste oil from a chippy

hi guys, i have secured myself the waste veg oil from a local chip shop , question is filtering it, i read stories of using pillow cases , is this about as easy as it gets , then i simply mix it with derv . ??? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by internetsurfer
    hi guys, i have secured myself the waste veg oil from a local chip shop , question is filtering it, i read stories of using pillow cases , is this about as easy as it gets , then i simply mix it with derv . ??? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If it's Palm Oil you could have problems with it being solid

Has it been used for light cooking, or has it been used for cooking meat - light use is the filter job, if meat has been cooked in it then you got to remove the fats etc.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by internetsurfer
      Hi, alot of chippys use veg fat and not pure oil. Chinese tend to use oil (well round here they do) I had a source of use veg oil and i found filtering through fine cotton cloths the best. If you leave the oil to stand 1st for a few days. Then i use a jug to scoop of the top and filter through the cloth. the 1st 25 ltrs of a 50 ltr drum were easy but then the animal fats start to come through. They will quickly clog with animal fats. I use lots of cloths then wash them out to use again. with oil its fairly easy to filter but its a long haul when its got animal fats in. I use a large funnel and cloth and pour in the fatty oil and leave it over night then do the same again the following night. take weeks to get it filtered with fat in it. you will see it as a creamy blob susspended in the oil. I tryied a fuel pump through my old diesel filters but the heat gennerated in pumping and forcing the fat and oil through the filter causes the fat deposits to liquify and pass through the filter. Therefore you get fatty oil which you dont want to use. the colder the oil the cleaner the filtering. Once filtered in summer mix 50/50 and winter 30 oil and 70 diesel
      Hope this easy helps.
      Last edited by Grimreeper; 28 July 2006, 20:08.
      BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Working...
      X