self made ball bearing puzzle HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self made ball bearing puzzle HELP!!!

I've been meaning for weeks to change the contacts in my 2nd gen 3 litre td starter motor. the car has been occaisionally starting ok but sometimes I get he click click click click click click start.
    finally last night she gave up the ghost in my works car park at midnight.
    got her home onto drive and set to this morning stripping the starter.
    I've got it off and stripped and cleaned. Inside the starter body there is a small bore (8mm) which houses the plunger spring. at the bottom of this hole is a small single ball bearing. This bearing has somehow managed to escape the confines of its bore, and is currently rolling around inside the body, and trapped by the soleniod assembly. I've almost strained both wrists trying to shake it loose / free for over an hour now. I'm stuck!!!!
    The only option that seems to be available to me is to strip the whole moter apart to rescue bearing.
    has any body had the same porblem or suggest a way for removal??
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Silly question time - would a magnet help ?

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

a

Originally posted by UDTrev
      Silly question time - would a magnet help ?

Trev

No - not a silly question - have already tried - but bearing seems trapped - ie the bearing is bigger than any gap to retrieve it from! Its like one of those ball bearing puzzle kids have but only in 3D and a lot heavier.
      It has got out of its hole somehow but can't find its way back in.

I'm gonna have to get a taxi to work and back today (back shift) and try again at midnight tonight!!!
      Thanks anyway!
      Ali

Comment

sorted it out at work -stripped unit to bear bones and retrieved bearing.
        What happened - and what not to do is this.
        when i was cleaning the drive gear, I pulled it out of the spiral drive thingy, against its spring to give it a good clean - but by doing this - the ball bearing falls out of it wee hole and is then free to roam around.
        SO THE LESSON LEARNT HERE TODAY IS REMOVE THE BALL BEARING WITH THE PLUNGER BEFORE MOVING THE DRIVE GEAR.
        all rebuilt with new bearing and contacts and back on car and working!!!

Comment

Working...
        X