Outlook Express and HDD Probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Express and HDD Probs

I Think I've had another hard drive failure, disk check is dropping sectors like Paris Hilton drops her drawers. Problem is that is where my default windows XP sits (I have two, one on each HDD). I need to try and recover all the relevant $$$$ from the original outlook express such as contacts, accounts and emails.

Anyone know if they are stored in a file and how to import them into the working outlook on the working version of XP? The old drive will let me get to most of the file structure.

I've had to re-install all the flaming software and had grief with trying to set up my bband wireless router as it is! Bl00dy PC's!!!!!
    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

you'll need to find the .pst/.ost files mate

(you'll need Show Hidden Files and Folders to be enabled for this bit - Tools > Folder Options > View)

usually somewhere like

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

(well, thats for Outlook obviously, I dont use Express, but I am assuming the process/folder location is the same)

Then just copy the entire folder and its contents to the same place on your other harddrive/xp installation. ta da.
    I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

All your messages are in files with ext dbx
      If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

To inport your address book you must first have exported it within outlook express by going to address book then file and you will see inport and export

Comment

opps yeah, my message only covers emails. contacts will be stored elsewhere.
          I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Ah, but if I cant open my old OE then how can I export my contacts? Isn't it a .wab file?
            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Substitute %username% for your unique username on your PC in the following instructions...

If its Outlook Express, you need to take a copy of the Outlook Express store directory which is located at C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{6DE0BD44-77C8-4809-9155-D157CA70DA28}\Microsoft\Outloo k Express (This folder should contain a load of .dbx files, and that long weird number in the path above may not be exactly the same, but it will look similar).

When you're ready to import it back into OE again, go to File menu > Import > Messages... Then select Microsoft Outlook Express 6, click next. Then put the green dot next to 'Import mail from an OE6 store directory', then click OK. In the next window, browse to the location where you copied the Outlook Express folder to. On the next window, click All Folders, then next, then you're done.

For contacts you need to find the .wab file. If it in the default location, it should be here C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio n Data\Microsoft\Address Book\%username%.wab

To import it again, just open the address book, File menu > Import > Address Book (WAB). Then just browse to wab file you copied, click Open, then you're done.

Well it should go something like that anyway Good luck!
              Last edited by Rob; 27 July 2006, 21:34.

Comment

Hi Danno
                Yes it is a wab file, to get to it go to the folder programme files then folder outlook express and you should see it

Comment

Oh, you won't be able to import the mail account settings as you need to have exported them from the broken Outlook Express before hand. It never saves the passwords anyway, piece of $$$$!

Comment

I'll try that later. Thanks guys
                    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                      Oh, you won't be able to import the mail account settings as you need to have exported them from the broken Outlook Express before hand. It never saves the passwords anyway, piece of $$$$!

Looks like someone else has had to do the transferral and backup of outlook express files also!
                      Gaz

Comment

Hehe, I do it for other people for a living....and they never remember their effiing passwords

Comment

This liitle prog worked well for me www.handyrecovery.com its not free, about £30 but brilliant for the price.
                          Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Working...
                          X