Smokin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokin'

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that the Surf is getting a bit smokey on startup . It seems to run fine on idle, but at start and on gear change it's putting out smoke.

Now, as a bit of a novice when it comes to Diesels (and Turbo Diesels), I don't know too much, but obviously this is not uncommon with older diesel engines. I imagine there's a number of possible explanations (hopefully the cheapest of which is dirty injectors - redex, anyone?) but would someone be kind enough to spell out the possibles for me (and guestimate the cost!!?) - obviously I'd rather not be sending smoke signals :

Cheers
    Paul L

http://www.webwhirled.co.uk/image/niceperson.gif

Originally posted by PaulL
    Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that the Surf is getting a bit smokey on startup . It seems to run fine on idle, but at start and on gear change it's putting out smoke.

Now, as a bit of a novice when it comes to Diesels (and Turbo Diesels), I don't know too much, but obviously this is not uncommon with older diesel engines. I imagine there's a number of possible explanations (hopefully the cheapest of which is dirty injectors - redex, anyone?) but would someone be kind enough to spell out the possibles for me (and guestimate the cost!!?) - obviously I'd rather not be sending smoke signals :

Cheers
    Paul.

Try the redex first, full bottle in 1/4 tank of diesel. Might need to do this a couple of times.

Main thing though - if the smoke is black then it's unburnt fuel and main cause is dirty injectors or a malfunctioning EGR (exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve.

If the Smoke is Blue then you are burning oil - rings, turbo seals or a number of other possibilities.

If the smoke is white then it's steam and that could be a head or head gasket gone or the motor might just need a really good run to really warm it up.

Hope this helps. It's most likely to be the dirty injectors so do the Redex. Most of the Surfs on here smoke or have smoked at some time.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks... I'll try the fuel treatment. I'll have to check the smoke colour and keep my fingers crossed for black, I guess!
      Paul L

Comment

join the red arrows......................

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

Hey mine smokes but only after a BATH

sumo.
          Last edited by sumo; 17 August 2007, 08:13.
          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

Yep, its red, white and blue. Erm... well actually it's just a bluey white (potential oh dear). It's due a proper oil change and general service, so I'll see how it looks after a bit of TLC and a couple of pints of redex.
            Paul L

Comment

Originally posted by PaulL
              Yep, its red, white and blue. Erm... well actually it's just a bluey white (potential oh dear). It's due a proper oil change and general service, so I'll see how it looks after a bit of TLC and a couple of pints of redex.
              use this if you can get any instead of redex, pour directly in the filter
              Attached Files
              [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
              [size=5][/size]
              [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Try filling up on Shell diesel extra!
                I started using this just before Christmas and I aint seen much smoke since. And its only 73p a litre near me.
                Ian
                One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into the Wynn's and maybe try Shell too...
                  Paul L

Comment

Working...
                  X